The Hellhole

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Honestly, I don't know what it is I do that keeps me too busy to blog because looking over the past week or so, I haven't done much of anything. I work, I run errands, I do stuff around the house, I occasionally watch a TV show or read a chapter of a book, etc. I was talking to a friend of mine, and we have formulated a theory. We think that the time warp which happens each weekday, causing the time between 4:00 and 5:30 to last approximately six hours reverses itself later, causing the span from 6:30 to 10:30 to last ninety minutes. (I know the math doesn't balance - that's part of the time warp.)

I feel like I barely get home from work, get dinner together and then clean up from dinner before it's past time for bed, and if I try to work a bubble bath into the mix, I'm pushing it. Not that Alan doesn't help with both cooking and clean-up; in fact, a couple of times last week he cooked dinner with very little to no help from me, so that I would have time to get my Wii Fit workout done. Still, though, even with him to help, I feel like I scarcely get home before it's time to retire to bed and start it all again the next day.

Friday was a horrible day at work - too much to do, too many interruptions, no straight answers, crises popping up every time my phone rang or my e-mail jangled - it was truly an unredeemingly awful day. Saturday, however, was as lovely a day as Friday was appalling. I slept kinda late (9:30 or so) and arose to find a perfectly temperate, lovely day - the kind of day that would have been perfect for driving around in a convertible. Luckily, I happened to have one so off I went.

I needed to put gas in my car and then go shoe shopping for new sneakers. The lining in my current pair is tearing up so even though they look okay, there are big wads of cotton poking and rubbing in odd places. I found some and also bought a cute pair of sandals - Liz Claiborne ones for a mere $30 at DSW! Then I had to hit the booze-a-rama, being too deflated on Friday for even the allure of a glass of wine to motivate me. I bought three or four new ones to try and have quite enjoyed a Vouvray I purchased - verra nice. (I just went to the garbage can to fish out the Vouvray bottle and tell y'all what it was, but Alan has emptied the trash so I don't know.)

Next I went to the supermarket; Alan had been the day before but they didn't have this raspberry lemonade he likes. Since his appendectomy, he's pretty much sworn off sodas in favor of Pelligrino, lemonade, club soda - though he will have the occasional ginger ale. So I thought it'd be a nice gesture if I checked back and got him some raspberry lemonade as a surprise when he returned from his all-day technical writing seminar. While obtaining said lemonade, I bought a lovely bell pepper, a cucumber, a box of cherry tomatoes and a bag of baby carrots. Once back at home, I sliced half the pepper and cucumber, set those out along with a few tomatoes and carrots, and munched on crisp, yummy veggies with ranch dip. Once my wine was cold, I had a glass of that along with the veggies and some cheese and crackers. I never actually ate lunch, just snacked on fresh vegetables and sipped my wine while playing video games.

To end with a funny - this morning we were watching Food Network and I was getting ticked off because it took Guy Fieri like SEVENTEEN minutes to utter his first "bad boys", although this was somewhat palliated by seeing him try to grate some lime zest, lose control of a lime and send it soaring across the room. So I asked Alan, "Suppose that you could only cock-punch one of them - would it be Bobby Flay or Guy Fieri?"

Alan: [heavy, exasperated sigh] Honey, it's the weekend. Don't make me contemplate deep philosophical conundrums on a weekend.

Side note to my etymology-buff friends (all both of you) - The Husband is 100% correct as the plural of conundrum is, in fact, conundrums and not conundra. (a) the OED says so but mostly it's 'cause (b) it's a word not Latin in origin.

2 Comments:

  • Guy Fieri gets on my LAST nerve, but Bobby Flay bites his fingernails! EEUUWW. (when does he have time to bite 'em!?) I couldn't eat a bite of his food knowing he'd been gnawing on his paws.... But Fieri with his stupid sunglasses on the back of his head....just ....NO.

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • I know what you mean with the time warp. Anthony goes to bed at 8:00 o'clock every night without fail and whatever time remains in the day is mine to do with as I wish, but there never seems to be more than about thirty minutes of it before it's 11:00 and I have to go to bed.

    I'm trying to force myself to blog regularly these days. It's very sad, I'll be walking around throughout the day thinking more about what I want to write about later than what i have to do at the moment, but when i finally sit down to do it, the energy and motivation is gone, so I write what I ate.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home