The Hellhole

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Mostly about booze...

Two or three weeks ago, I bought a bottle of Grey Goose vodka. I put it in the freezer so it'd be deliciously cold, and once it was chilled had a couple of drinks. Several days later, I wanted another drink so I got the bottle out of the freezer and it was over half gone! I was puzzled by this because Alan doesn't drink alcohol at all and I knew I hadn't consumed that much vodka. Upon further inspection, I saw that I hadn't recapped the bottle properly and vodka had been dripping out of the top for several days. There was a minor vodka flood in our freezer. I mopped it up, lamenting the loss of valuable Grey Goose.

I don't recall when or how I learned about the "vodka in the freezer" thing but however I came by that knowledge, I also gathered that the liquid didn't freeze into solid ice because of the alcohol content. So one day last summer, I had a glass of Riesling. One glass was all I wanted so I thought, "I know! I'll put the bottle into the freezer and it will be deliciously, icy cold next time I want a glass!"

Not so much.

Apparently wine has far less alcohol than vodka, or far more water, or juice, or some combination thereof. The next day, Alan was poking around the freezer for something, held up the Riesling and said, "Um...what do you want me to do with this...winecicle?"

You know how water expands when it freezes? Wine does too, and there was this little frozen geyser sticking out of the top of the bottle. This brings me to my Consumer Tip for Today: it's okay to keep vodka in the freezer, but don't do this with wine. Just drink the whole bottle instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home