The Hellhole

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nancy has been taking jewelry-making classes and last Saturday, I was thrilled to be the beneficiary of her creativity! She and Mark came up to have dinner with us at a new restaurant, The Borage Grill. Alan and I had gone there ten days or so ago and while we were eating, delighted with the great food, he asked, "You know who would LOVE this place?"

"Yeah - Nancy," I answered. So we invited them and they liked it, too. Here is Alan modeling the necklace Nancy gave me - she gave me matching earrings but he didn't wish to model those.

Isn't it gorgeous? I wear a lot of purple and black so it goes with several of my favorite outfits.

I hope the Borage Grill makes it; starting a new business, particularly a restaurant, is risky at the best of times and with the current economic climate, I don't know. Also, they're Halal so they don't serve alcohol - not that it was a hardship to go without wine with dinner, I can deal - but restaurants make a LOT of their profit on the markup on alcoholic beverages, so I'm worried about them not having that advantage.

The food is fabulous. Between this visit and the last, we've tried their hummus, babaganoush, chicken tikka, beef shawarma, grape leaves...everything is very savory and delicious. Mmmm, now I want Borage Grill...Nancy, when are y'all free???

On a much sadder restaurant note, a longtime fixture in my hometown, a restaurant I totally loved and the place Alan and I had our wedding rehearsal dinner, Michelangelo, is closing its doors for good. *sniffle*

4 Comments:

  • Michelangelo is closing?? That totally sucks. I went there a couple of times when I worked for Motorola where I repaired pagers - the boss would treat our shift sometimes for good work.

    -Sandy

    By Blogger Topcat, at 8:11 AM  

  • I'm glad you guys found a nice new place! Nancy is doing great work with her jewelry, isn't she? That's gorgeous...

    I am so very sorry to hear that Michelangelo is closing forever..that's really sad. I have quite a few great memories of that place, not the least of which was yours and Alan's rehearsal dinner. Fabulous...what a shame.

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:23 AM  

  • That is very sad news about Michelangelo's! I'm glad I got to go there once, at least. Tell Alan the necklace looks nice on him - and would he like a matching set?

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 8:29 AM  

  • Oooh, I like the necklace. The colors are really nice. Fine work, Nancy.

    I kind of miss the olden days when I wore jewelry. I had all kinds of funky earrings and bracelets. Now, I wear stuff that I can sleep in or that the cats won't attack.

    I also had a funky watch collection (my favorite was a little VW bug, and you had to lift the car up to see the time), which was great for keeping little kids occupied when I was doing the daycare at the gym. "Here, kid, look at this shiny bauble and stop crying."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home