The Hellhole

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

I have some comments to add to my "65 Questions" meme. For #27, ever been on a train?, I answered "Not unless you count amusement park trains. I've ridden trains at Stone Mountain and other similar places, but not for real." To me, "train" meant a locomotive, with an engine and a caboose and a Great Eponymous Robbery - you know, the kind that Brenden likes. But as the meme circulates, I've seen many people answering in terms of commuter rail; if that counts, yes I have. I rode the Metro fairly often when I lived in Washington, DC and I've ridden MARTA trains here in Atlanta a handful of times.

As far as #26, I've been chastised for making it sound like prank phone calls were something I did as a naughty child, whereas in reality they have continued well into adulthood, as noted here and here. I prank call poor Sheila a lot but luckily for me, she is highly amused and not annoyed by me. More mundane pranks involve calling her and saying something like "Is this the [unintelligible garble]?" or asking for a fake/punny name and seeing how long I can go before she realizes it's me or I start laughing.

Now, for some housekeeping (blogkeeping?). About a month ago I ran a blog contest to give away Top Gear Season 10 on DVD, crappiest car wins. I've let it go too long without an announcement, but I was torn about choosing a winner. First entry was Sandy with a 1976 Pinto, so my initial thought was, "Game over in one!" However, upon consideration I wondered if it could really win a crappy car contest considering that she "LOVED" it (actual admission). I decided to wait and weigh hers against the other entrants.

Technically, I ought to disqualify Heather, because she didn't identify the make and model of the car in question. I mean, being unable to turn off your brights in a '75 Gremlin is one thing, but in a '75 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow? One is unfortunate, the second a suitable treatment of peasants.

Bo didn't identify the Cherry Bomb, either, but since he's my brother I knew it was a Chevrolet Cavalier, a 1983 or 1984 I believe. The Cherry Bomb definitely had an edge as the winner; I know firsthand what a P.O.S. it was as, sadly, I've had to drive it. I also happened upon the wreck that squashed it on Highway 78 when, my brother at the wheel, the clutch made one of its frequent, random decisions not to work and he got t-boned. Still, if he won against a Pinto, I might be accused of nepotism.

Sarah related a very amusing story about the Dodge Caravan, while Basil makes a great (or terrible) case for the 1984 LeBaron, and I have to feel for Flippy in her '72 Cougar with intermittent power steering and old-pizza smell. While Phil's Ford Granada wasn't that bad, comparatively, he ought to win on colour scheme alone - gold with a tan interior. And talking of colour schemes, there's my mom with the two-toned green Chevy, but again with the nepotism problems.

So. My decision?

EVERYBODY wins! Top Gear is just that great, and my loyal readers shall be rewarded! Because she entered the only car well known for exploding upon impact, Sandy wins the grand prize: the DVDs along with a Conyers t-shirt and autographed picture of Mister Fusspot, and everyone who entered gets Top Gear! Even Nancy, who writes that she loved her little car and isn't submitting her comment for a win, and Margarita who writes that none of her cars were crappy enough to win. I have 3 DVD sets in my possession - the original one which prompted the contest and two more, having purchased my neighborhood Best Buy's entire remaining stock. Worryingly, BBC America reports that the DVDs are on backorder, but Amazon claims to have some in stock so I'll get cracking on prize distribution.

I need addresses to send DVDs, which the only ones I don't have are Basil, Phil and Margarita, so y'all shoot me an e-mail with your info (assuming you want your prize). Promise not to stalk. Except you, Basil - I may stalk you later in the summer. And Sandy, what shirt size, M or L? I know you're not very large but I like my t-shirts baggy - do you?

Lastly, Flippy requests more pictures of baby Esme. Some others are up on Flickr, but here are two:
11 weeks old












And mid-leap after diving into the hammock portion of Finnovar's kitty play-set:

7 Comments:

  • WOO-HOO! I finally won something!!! And it's something I can watch without worrying if Brenden is the room!

    -Sandy

    By Blogger Topcat, at 8:21 AM  

  • Sorry, forgot: Size 'L', I like them baggy too. And thank you!

    By Blogger Topcat, at 8:23 AM  

  • Oh wow, that is so nice of you! :) I'll email you my address so it's not posted on the world wide web.

    Ahhhh, Puppy! She is too cute. Like seriously. If she ever goes missing, it wasn't me ;)

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 9:24 AM  

  • Cool, glad that car was good for somethin'.

    Esme is adorable, especially when using the cat hut/tent/thingie.

    By Anonymous FlippyO, at 1:13 PM  

  • Awesome!!!

    Love the baby pics.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 7:05 PM  

  • Oh my god. I won something!!! Yippee. I don't win stuff so this is really a treat. My info is forthcoming Helly!

    By Blogger basil, at 5:20 PM  

  • Oh hey! Very cool. I'll getcha my address.

    cheers,
    Phil

    By Blogger Phil C., at 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home