The Hellhole

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Last night we went to see Up, the new Disney/Pixar 3-D film I've been salivating to see for months and months. I'm probably the only person in America who feels this way, but I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Certainly I didn't like it as much as Alan, who afterwards kept commenting, "What a great movie!", "That was terrific!" and such. He's been flinging out funny quotes about "the cone of shame", "I have just met you, and I love you" and retelling the squirrel joke. He liked it a lot.

The 3-D technology was amazingly well done, Ed Asner is fabulous and there are lots of cute and funny moments. But I didn't expect it to be sad.

In fairness, there are only 2 - 3 parts (but 2 of them are kinda long) which are sad, but those parts are very sad - as in, 'I'm headed out to the barn to shoot Ol' Yeller' sad. I found those bits so heartwrenching that the cute and funny moments which make up the vast majority of the movie were not enough to pull me out of the funk the sad moments created.

But, y'know, my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

2 Comments:

  • I hear what you're saying, and yet. The sad bits, which, yes, god, the first montage, beautiful, sad, moving, made it a much better film for me. I obviously expected it to be funny ("I was hiding under the porch because I love you"), but the fact that it was also moving made it absolutely fantastic.

    Will is just telling me that he found the moment... I don't want to give anything away, but the end of the first montage so incredibly sad he didn't think he was going to pick himself up from it. And, yes, I felt that way too, I had tears streaming down to my chest!

    And I think that's the genius of it. That even though the thing is very, very sad and moving at parts, it still manages to be very funny. It picks you up. Also, it ends in a good note, which to me either makes or breaks a film. If I'm hoping for a good ending and in the end everything's broken, then I don't like a film.

    And so but there you go.

    I'm going to be left wishing someone would invent something so that dogs could speak. Genius!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

  • I've been wanting to see it since I first saw the trailer. But, I don't think I need any more sad. I just read "Out of the Canyon: A True Story of Loss and Love" and I don't know if I can handle any more sad for a while. The first half of the book is "tear you into shreds" heartbreaking, and the second half is kind of uplifting and kind of really really strange.

    I'm such a skeptic about so many touchy feely sorts of things, but if, and it's IF with all caps and bolded, what the woman said happened actually happened, it's fascinating and very cool. But, I'm not sure I can believe it, although the guy didn't see/hear the people/voices, so it's not like it's "we're so rad, we can talk to dead people"...it's just her, which does make it slightly more believable. I don't know what to think, and I'd even have trouble believing the stories if Leigh-Ann experienced them.

    It did open up my mind a teeny tiny crack into maybe possibly not immediately discounting her stories as a hoax.

    If you want an excuse to weep copious tears for a stranger, I highly recommend the book. Otherwise, I tentatively recommend it, because it'll bring up sad thoughts of your own on top of their heartwrenching sadness, even though it has a happy ending.

    I would like to see "Up", but I'm not really in the mood for more "sad" right now, because my friends' Facebook updates have been full of teh sad lately. Maybe we should see Star Trek.

    By Anonymous Flippy, at 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home