The Hellhole

Friday, March 20, 2009

A brief historical overview of our vacations and/or vacation attempts:

Destin, Florida: our AC breaks every time we're about to leave for Destin, leaving us to attempt to get it repaired long-distance or postpone our trip. EVERY time, including our honeymoon. EVERY time, even mere months after the entire unit was replaced.

Las Vegas: I can't remember anything terrible happening the first time we went, but the second time we returned home to find that a squirrel had taken up residence in the attic and gnawed through some electrical wires. The house had to be squirrel-proofed ($2,500) and the electrical wiring couldn't be repaired - it was so old that it was no longer up to current code, so the entire house had to be re-wired with new junction boxes (over $2,000).

Augusta: it's true that we've occasionally made trips to Augusta without incident, but we've also had the septic tank back up ($850), the clock spring on my car break ($600), the fuel pump on my car die ($700) - technically that one happened two days after we returned from the trip, but I still blame cavorting about staying at nice places, eating out and having fun for invoking this punishment.

Lake Oconee: we haven't made it to Lake Oconee yet but two aborted trip attempts have occurred. The first time, Alan's car was discovered dead in the driveway (having run fine 15 - 20 minutes before) when we tried to leave to go get trip supplies, and had to be towed to the dealership in the next county ($185). The second time, on the morning we were about to leave, Alan's shower was only lukewarm and when I went out to investigate, the hot water heater exploded in sparks and flame ($700).

Therefore, historical precedent having been set, it was with zero surprise that I received the news from Alan, who had gone to fuel up my car and purchase ice as I bustled about staging our luggage, gathering pet needs and other supplies, "Your car won't start."

"Of course it won't," I replied in disgust. "Why would I think we could actually go on vacation???"

I stalked outside to determine if the alternator, the battery or some other component was the culprit. My car was either messing me about or trying to remind Alan that he is not the boss of it (or both) because when I turned the key, the engine purred to life as smoothly as when I drove it off the showroom floor.

We actually went on vacation. So far, no household disasters have manifested since our return. *crossing fingers, making hex signs, giving the evil eye*

We stayed at a little cottage up in the mountains, in Cleveland, Georgia, right on the Chattahoochee River. We did very little other than read books and wallow in the hot tub, and it was lovely. We grilled every night for dinner, we played with the pets and so far, I am not paying for daring to enjoy myself by having the roof fall in on my head. Not yet, anyway.

A view of the Chattahoochee River from the cottage. It is very different from the part of the Chattahoochee River which runs through Atlanta, being remarkably free of raw sewage and dead bodies. More pictures are here.

We found the cottage at VRBO, Vacation Rentals by Owner. You can rent everything from a condo in the Caribbean to a mansion in Southampton, any size and almost any amenities imaginable. What we like best is that there are hundreds of pet-friendly places and we greatly enjoy being able to take the boys along when we go somewhere.

5 Comments:

  • That sounds like a perfectly lovely vacation. I'm so glad it worked out. I think it's that time of year when everyone needs to escape for a few days. Especially if it's with cute puppehs!

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 10:05 AM  

  • Wow, I'm glad you guys had a nice relaxing vacation without incident. (Knock on wood)

    By Blogger Topcat, at 10:42 AM  

  • Wonderful photos, as usual. Does the lovely redhead come with the rental, or is she optional?

    It looks like a lovely, restful place and I am happy you all had a good time. Surprised that the Finn actually left HIS house and went along for the trip. The pups seemed to enjoy themselves, too!

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 PM  

  • very nice story here, and sounds like you guys had a fantastic vacation. hope for more in the future!

    By Blogger Taz, at 11:32 PM  

  • I'm glad you had a nice vacation. It sounded very relaxing!

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home