The Hellhole

Monday, May 25, 2009

Another week between posts...I don't have much inspiration to write lately. Nothing bad is going on but nothing terribly funny has happened either, so - meh. Here is what I've been up to since my last entry:

  • Had a wedding anniversary. I received some lovely Lush bath products and some "Top Gear" swag. I gave the husband a 1 terabyte external hard drive. We were each very pleased with our gifts.
  • For our anniversary dinner, we went to Bonefish, which was very good. Our favorite 'special occasion' place has closed so we thought we'd try something different. I ordered a tropical breeze martini, just to try something new, and it came with a glow-stick in it. I felt rather ridiculous, like a kid at the circus, but I fished the glow-stick out and the martini itself was nice.
  • Went shopping for birthday gifts for Nancy and Cheryl.
  • Had dinner with Nancy and Mark at Borage for Nancy's birthday. She liked her gifts, which pleased me, and they liked "Top Gear" which was also good. We watched part of an episode and they laughed as much as we did.
  • Went grocery shopping.
  • Went to see the new Star Trek movie. Although I am not a fan of time-travel as a plot device, not at all, the movie was good enough that this was not a detraction for me. I'm more of a Star Trek fan than a Star Trek geek, so likewise changes to the canon didn't bother me. Great action movie, some great lines, some actors were very good. In particular, Karl Urban is great as Dr. McCoy, eerily like DeForest Kelley without parodying him. I'd like to see it again and it's definitely on our blu-ray purchase list when the DVD comes out.
With regard to my husband's hard drive, a long time ago when he was looking at Mac books (one of which I see Will has just acquired - go Will!) I joked with Alan, deliberately misunderstanding what a terabyte was called. "When I call the Apple store, what do I tell them you need, a troglobite or something?" His answer was, "Yes but tell them I need two troglobites." Ever since then, I stumble on the word. I either want to say "troglobite" or modify it to "trilobite"; I know neither is correct, but I have to struggle to come up with "terabyte". Maybe now that I've written about it, my selective aphasia will correct itself.

5 Comments:

  • Glad you guys liked the Trek film. I mentioned this to Nancy - I had some severe moments of cognitive dissonance when watching Star Trek. I find Karl Urban to be extremely attractive but his Dr. McCoy was so spot-on my head asploded.

    By Blogger Topcat, at 11:06 AM  

  • Awesome! Now I want to call up all the computer stores I can find to ask them if they have trilobite hard drives!

    -Sarah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 PM  

  • The fellow at the Apple store was very nice when I told him I needed 2 troglobites, and told me to come right in. Alan thinks this is because the Apple guy thought, "Oh, WOW! I can sell this chick ANYTHING!" but I think that's rather uncharitable of him, don't you?

    Oh, and Happy Birthday!!! Late. You shouldn't have had a birthday on Sunday. I never know what day it is on Sundays.

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:20 PM  

  • I really love all my presents! The oil diffuser is beautiful, and smells delicious. :-)

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 9:44 PM  

  • Happy belated anniversary. I never remember anniversaries, except my own and my parents' (it's easy, it's the same day). Also, since I expect you guys to be together forever, I figure you celebrate every day. I often thank Leigh-Ann for not being "[insert word that annoys me about other people - stupid, crazy, boring, etc.]", so I figure that I celebrate being with her every day, so our anniversary is just another slash for the tally. Hmm, I guess it's like being taken for granted, but in a good way. No, wait, I appreciate her every day, and I assume you feel the same way about each other. :)

    By Anonymous Flippy, at 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home