The Hellhole

Friday, October 22, 2004

My Friday was off to an absolutely terrible start. I was only about 2 miles from my house when I realized I'd forgotten my cell phone. I hate doing that; I don't use my cell phone often, but you know the one time I'd desperately need it, it would be at home charging on the counter. I didn't go back to get it, though, because WSB had been talking all morning long about the lengthy delays on the freeway and I didn't want to be late.

Then, when I arrived at work I couldn't find my purse. It's usually inside my backpack (yeah, I carry both). My keys live on a hook on the wall, so the first time I looked for my purse was once I'd parked, because that's when I flip down the mirror and put on lipstick. I couldn't think of any reason why I'd take it out of my backpack last night; I didn't stop anywhere between work and home and typically I'd only take the purse out if I'd gone to a store. Although it's not like me to do so, next I thought maybe I didn't put it back in my backpack after I paid for our lunch pizza so I headed into the office, hopeful. No purse. Now what? Did I in fact leave it at the office so now it's stolen, or is it misplaced somewhere? If so, where?

This sort of thing really throws me because I'm very organized and meticulous; when something's not where I expect it to be, I'm totally lost. I have no idea where to start looking. In this case, I got very upset at the thought of having to replace all the stuff in the purse, credit cards being the least of it. In these days of identity theft, how does one obtain a Social Security card without a driver's license? I had this sort of circular freak-out: I need a driver's license. I can't get a driver's license without money. My money is in the missing purse. I can't get more money without an ATM card. ATM card is in the purse. Yeah, my checkbook's in the file cabinet but I can't write a check because I don't have a driver's license - AAAAAAAAAAAGH! Add that to the fact that I'm supposed to be away from home housesitting for the next couple of weeks so I'd have to drive 100 miles round trip without my driver's license, to check my mail for replacement stuff. Which I can't do because that requires gas and I can't get any gas because I had to cancel my gas card and I can't buy any because I have no ATM card and I can't write a check for any because I don't have a driver's license...you get the idea.

So, about 15 minutes after I arrived, I left work and drove home to look for the purse. It would be just my luck to cancel everything and then find it. Before I'd even driven inside my garage, I saw the purse lying on the floor. Evidently it had fallen out of the car when I opened the passenger door to throw the day's allotment of Diet Cokes inside. Why it was in a position to fall instead of secured inside the backpack, and why I didn't notice it falling, are beyond me but hey, crisis averted. I even remembered to snag my cell phone since I was home anyway. I then commuted for the second time, relieved but starting the day far, far behind.

MONTOYA DELENDA EST!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home