The Hellhole

Friday, October 15, 2004

Last night I had dinner with my friends Sue and Tim (the brother of the WGB). Tim grilled a ‘beer butt chicken’ - you stick a full, opened can of beer into the chicken’s...um...opening, and grill it standing end-up in a shallow pan. The alcohol evaporates but the meat is very tender and juicy. It was FABULOUS. We hung out on their porch talking until the wee hours. I’m house-sitting for them at the end of the month; they have a gorgeous house so I’m quite looking forward to it.

I have wasted most of my day at work scouring the internet for the answer to a question. I hate it when I need to know something very simple and straightforward, yet it is utterly impossible to find. Today I wanted to know, yes or no, is this one certain business activity permitted within this particular zoning designation of Dekalb County. You can’t search their website. You can’t find a phone number for Planning & Zoning. You can’t read their zoning ordinance, at least not via their website - you have to go elsewhere, to some municipal code library whose site is fraught with frames (read: teeny tiny square of reading space) and about seven hundred sub-categories under each section title, some of which take you to that sub-category when you click upon them and some of which do not, with any one of several gazillion possibly relating to my issue. Reading the zoning ordinance was such fun, too, because the type of zoning stamped on the plat at which I’m looking apparently does not exist within Dekalb County...so I call. You know where this is going, right? Spoke to three people in succession, all of whom transferred me on down the line, wound up in someone’s voice mail. Left a message which probably will not be returned because, let’s be real here, that guy is probably in sanitation billing and wondering why in hell I’m calling him about zoning requirements.

What frustrates me is that it is a very simple question involving what ought to be easily accessible information; it would be one thing if I wanted to know the Christian name of the inventor of a sixteenth-century type font or a description of the double hypolaxodochrian snood - well, all righty, I’d expect something that obscure to require some digging. (Not so, as it happens - it’s William. William Caslon. And a blunt instrument of the 13th century which was basically a reversal of the trefingle, the most famous of which had an added Eb key which kreebled the slides.) Bo probably already knew that. But, sadly, he doesn’t know about permitted uses within M-1 (industrial) zoning.

MONTOYA DELENDA EST!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home