The Hellhole

Saturday, March 16, 2013

It is that time in the U.S. when I must gather documentation and create file folders and start working on our tax return.  I have to go through every single transaction on twelve months' worth of bank statements to highlight relevant items like medical expenses, charitable contributions, personal property taxes, etc.  So since I have to look at every single transaction anyway, a couple of years ago I instituted a fun element:  every time I come across a restaurant at which we've dined, I start a column on a piece of paper with the restaurant name, and then put a hash mark every time I come across another transaction showing that we've dined there, and then I total them by venue.  Probably sounds totally dorky ('cause it kinda is) , but it adds an element of interest to an otherwise boring, menial but requisite exercise.

In 2012, for the 3rd straight year in a row, the winner of The Most Times Helly & Alan Ate Here was FRONTERA with 32 visits!  In a surprise, debuting on the list at #2 with a bullet was Summit's Wayside Tavern with 15!  Applebee's came next at 9, our lamented beloved Chianti at 8, Whistle Post and Domino's tied with 6 each, Olive Garden at 5, Longhorn Steaks next at 4 and DePalma's in Athens at 2.

Rounding out the list at one visit each were Aqua Terra Bistro, Bone's ($570 bill, LOL!), Chez FonFon, East Point Corner Tavern, Jim & Nick's, Johnny's NY Pizza, McCray's Tavern, Mama Maria's, Marlin & Ray's (the chain has closed, no point in linking), Meehan's Public House, Provino's and Romano's.

I got 99 problems but dining out ain't one.

3 Comments:

  • Was Summit's really a surprise?

    -Matt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 PM  

  • Only to the extent that it wasn't 45!!!

    By Blogger Helly, at 8:45 PM  

  • I am glad you found a way to find fun in preparing taxes.

    By Blogger basil, at 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home