The Hellhole

Monday, August 22, 2011

Delicious New Recipe


Over the weekend we made Ina Garten's mushroom lasagna. I changed a few things about her recipe, though. The most important thing - for the love of all that's holy, unless you suspect that your kitchen is about to be invaded by a horde of starving vegetarians, halve the recipe! That's halved, right there, filling a standard 7" x 11" baking dish to the brim.

Second thing: when I saw her make it on television, she used blue oyster and some other exotic type mushroom, not portobellos as it's written. At our grocery store, they often (but not always) have this 'exotic mushroom blend' over in produce which is portobellos, shiitakes, oysters and chanterelles, so I used the blend instead of only portobellos.

Lastly, I also finely minced some cloves of garlic, about two tablespoons I'd guess, though it can be varied according to how much you do or don't love garlic. I made this addition because, to quote Alton Brown, "garlic don't need no reason!".



A plated slice, along with a grilled marinated chicken breast.

Oh, and if you make it - splurge and get a good wedge of imported Parmesan and grate it yourself; don't use the jar of pre-grated Kraft. I'm not a cheese snob (okay, maybe I am) but it's not like there isn't a jar of Kraft in the fridge for me to sprinkle on spaghetti. But in this case it's more of an ingredient than a condiment, so get the good stuff. Bon appetit!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home