The Hellhole

Friday, August 12, 2011

In which I wintificate...

Last Friday I went to my favorite booze-a-rama where Cindy, my trusted sommelier, holds court. She often makes recommendations to me and now that she knows a good bit about my taste, she's usually not wrong. Even if something is not an instant new favorite, at least I can tell what she thought I'd find interesting or appealing about it. So on Friday I bought a couple of standards and a couple of new things she recommended. One of them, a white wine, I'd saved for last and only tried yesterday, thinking I'd like it the best of the new recommendations, because she described it as "aromatic, but dry, which I know you like, but I mean BONE DRY, it's almost crunchy" - yessss, I like dry. I don't like sweet like I'm drinking Kool-Aid. Sec est bonne.

The wine she sold me was called Rot Gut Fleur...no, wait, that's not quite right...Rotgipfler. She said a wine salesman she dealt with was surprised and disbelieving. "Where did you find ROTGIPFLER?!? There are like two vineyards in the world producing Rotgipfler and no one imports to the States!" He's mostly right; it seems less than 300 (292, if we're being particular) acres of Rotgipfler grapes are being cultivated. If you didn't realize (I didn't) Rotgipfler is the varietal itself (as in cabernet, pinot gris, merlot, chardonnay, etc.) and it is, at least as far as I've learned so far, exclusive to Austria.

Rot Gut Fleur = GOOOOOOOOOOD.

Here's the vintner that produced my Rot Gut; he's about 30 km south of Vienna. There are 4 acres of Rot Gut Fleur being grown near Tattendorf, and that's about it. So it's scarce and I daresay not something you'd find in the wine aisle at your local grocery, but if you can get some at your booze-a-rama, I highly recommend picking some up. Especially the Johanneshof Reinisch.

I had to exert a real, Herculean effort to keep myself from drinking it all. At some point, probably tomorrow, I'm making Ina Garten's lemon/garlic chicken, (with Basmati rice) which calls for a cup or so of dry white wine. I made it 10 - 12 days ago with my "everyday favorite", Chateau St. Michele Riesling, but I can't WAIT to try it with the Rot Gut.

Alan says we can go see Cindy tomorrow to buy another bottle or two of Rot Gut - y'all want to come over???

1 Comments:

  • I'm on my way! I'll have to keep an eye out. I'm intrigued by this wine.

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home