The Hellhole

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Yesterday was lovely. Nancy came up from Athens and we had a nice mimosa-laden lunch here, then on to the spa! We were going to eat here - Nancy likes their fish and chips, but when we got there, a handwritten sign on the door said they were closed and would reopen at 11:45. While we were digging for cell phones to check the time, the owner came out and asked if we were there to eat lunch.

"Well, we wanted to," said Nancy. The owner profusely apologized but explained that her cook, due in an hour ago, simply hadn't shown up for work. We told her it was fine and that we'd see her another time. I felt sorry for the poor lady but it worked out fine for us; both places have great food and good mimosas, so we persevered.

The spa was great; I love going there. Over the last months, I have purchased a couple of the products they typically use on me, but giving myself a face treatment just isn't the same as someone else doing it while I relax on a soft bed, in soothingly dim lights with a scented candle nearby while relaxing music full of nature sounds plays softly. I have a naturally miserly tendency that makes it hard for me to part with money for no purpose other than self-indulgence, but when I do, I thoroughly and completely enjoy it. Mmmm.

Nancy got a massage, a detoxifying back treatment, some sauna time and a spa manicure complete with warm paraffin treatment, finished with a French manicure. It looked really nice. I had a custom facial and a Caribbean body wrap, which is a heated body masque that they apply, cocoon you in blankets for 30 minutes and then wash off the clay under a Vichy shower, wherein a bar equipped with 5 pulsing shower heads is positioned over you while you relax on a twin-bed-sized platform. After that, an intense moisturizer is applied all over the body.

Last time I went, it was to celebrate Nancy's birthday and this time, we were celebrating her job being unexpectedly renewed for the upcoming school year. How about the rest of you? Who has something to celebrate that would compel me to visit the spa? C'mon, don't let me down, now!

4 Comments:

  • When I get my basement rehab done, I'll let you know. Feel free to celebrate that by going to the spa.

    I want to come with y'all! That sounds like a fantastic day!

    By Blogger basil, at 1:35 PM  

  • You definitely need to join us for a weekend of fine dining, fellowship, wine and spa-ing! Most definitely.

    By Blogger Helly, at 6:25 PM  

  • How about you and me celebrating the day I gave birth to you..together!

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:20 AM  

  • It was a lovely, lovely day! Wish I could do it every week!

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home