The Hellhole

Sunday, September 20, 2009

It was Derby Day in Manchester and even though I live on a different continent, I was very excited at being able to watch the match. First Manchester Derby I've seen in ages - DirecTV has decided to offer Setanta Sports as an a la carte selection, meaning I don't have to buy $125 of live Senate coverage and estrogen channels just to get some footy. Before, you could buy a Saturday at a time for $14.95, but you couldn't pick which game or games they showed - I'm not sure how or why it was determined, but you might pay the money and see your favorite team, or two teams you couldn't care less about watching - and I'm too cheap to pay $14.95 and not be assured it's a match I want to see. But now Setanta is the same price for an entire month.

It was a great match, tied two-all, then United went up after a great pass from Giggs to Fletcher, who scored his second goal of the day - second header, in fact. Then Bellamy scored for City to even it up again, and I thought all was lost but in the last few seconds of stoppage time, Michael Owen put the Reds ahead for good. Yay! (If you're curious, I chose Manchester United as my adopted football team because of Georgie Best. "I spent most of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.")

But it was also a great week in football for Will - that's Mister Cake to you - because his Blades triumphed over their in-town rivals too. Yay for Will! I'll be hoisting a beer to Sheffield United in a few minutes, such is the power of friendship.

I'm also hoping this week won't suck quite so much for me in Fantasy [American] Football, but the jury's still out on that one.

2 Comments:

  • I hope everything's okay flooding-wise. I wasn't sure how far-reaching it was because I saw that the highway was flooded, too. Nasty.

    By Anonymous FlippyO, at 5:29 PM  

  • It's pretty scary - I got home just fine but there's standing water in our neighbor's yard - not a puddle, like they've installed a trout pond. The worst of it is a bit north of us - one highway (575) is shut down in both directions and they're rescuing people by boat. Other major roads are flooding, sinkholing and mudsliding. 6 folk are dead. But in our immediate vicinity, all is well at least for now. Thanks for checking!

    By Blogger Helly, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home