The Hellhole

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Over the past months, I've received several e-mails of the "friend me" variety: X wants to friend me on Facebook, Y wants to follow me on Twitter, Z wants me to join them on Goodreads. If you've sent me any or all of the above, please know that I am not your friend, co-follower or co-sharer because I don't like you or don't want to be your friend. Not that at all, it's that I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads or MySpace. I don't particularly want to be and have no plans to join any of them. If you enjoy it (them), good on you, but I can't even keep this blog updated regularly. I think it's safe to say that I am inadequate to the time and computer commitment required for anything more. Plus, I really don't want to be on Goodreads because I don't want to disclose publicly that, in amongst the Gaiman and Pratchett and Robbins, mostly I read a lot of trash.

Cooking tip: back before the World Market by my house closed (sob! I'm not over it yet) I'd picked up this jar of seasoned sea salt. It added a whole new dimension of flavor to many a dish and was fabulous on kebabs. My grocery store of choice often has pre-assembled kebabs available in the meat cooler: the tenderest chunks of sirloin EVAH, cherry tomatoes, onions and green pepper. A smattering of the seasoned salt over the entirety (meat and veg alike) made my tastebuds swoon with happiness. We were nearing the bottom of the little jar and I was sad - no trip to WM for replacements - but hey! This intarwebs thing! Maybe it could help me! Indeed, the manufacturer, Urban Accents, is online and if I tell them I want things, they will send them to me! Same principle as Santa Claus. They have lots of lovely things I am anxious to try, basmati, risotto, black rice, as well as the delicious salts I wanted in the first place. What I used on the kebabs was the Isle of Capri salt but when ordering, I got the Provence and Santiago blends as well - haven't cooked with them yet but I'll let you know. And if you order from them, unlike buying at the store, the jar of salts comes with a teeny, tiny silver scoop. Y'all know I love anything if it's wee and therefore cute. Also, I was pleased that they carry Herbs de Provence since I have been unable to find it at my grocery store, another blow from losing WM because I cook with Herbs de Provence a lot, and not finding it in the spice aisle at 3 different stores came as rather a surprise to me because I don't think of that as particularly exotic or weird. I mean, I'd figure if I wanted garam masala I'd have to go to a specialty store, but Herbs de Provence is pretty standard - isn't it?

Last Sunday Phil came over and I finally got to meet his girlfriend, the lovely Leslie, whom I totally adore. You know how sometimes, you meet a friend's new boyfriend/girlfriend and even though you're polite, you totally don't understand how that happened or why your friend ended up with THAT person? Completely opposite circumstance here - she's smart, witty, interesting and way pretty. Bo and Sarah came down from Greenville for the day, so that made a good time even better. I hope we can all hang out again soon.

In the last couple of weeks, I've completed three movie-based video games that I plan to review shortly. And Steel Magnolias - not the movie, the play starring my friend Anne as Truvy. And hopefully a pet story with a happy ending (I'll know soon). So remind me of that if I bitch that I have nothing to blog about.

5 Comments:

  • I definitely just ude it for stalking purposes. Facebook. It's also annoying when people misuse it and update their status every 5 minutes.

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 1:34 AM  

  • I love pratchett.. but I'm not on goodreads either. Mostly because I also love silly chickflicks. (I'm assuming what was the trash you were referring too).

    By Anonymous Inna, at 9:17 AM  

  • Eh, I suppose it's not right to term it "trash" - I enjoy it in the moment, after all. I don't read "chick lit" or bodice-rippers (my term for historical romances) but I read a lot of mystery/suspense/thrillers that, while enjoyable, are not exactly in contention for the next Pulitzer Prize, y'know?

    By Blogger Helly, at 6:40 PM  

  • My local Kroger has Herbs de Provence
    alldetime.

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 AM  

  • Awww! I will pass on your sentiments to Leslie. She'll be so happy you said such nice things about her. :)

    We had a fantastic time and will be sure to come see you again in December when we're around for Christmas.

    cheers,
    Phil

    By Blogger Phil C., at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home