The Hellhole

Monday, July 20, 2009

For some time now, Alan has been halfheartedly looking at new cars. He hasn't been overeager to make such a big purchase because his car is paid for (actually, both are), still quite reliable and while he works from home, it's not a top priority. Still, he reads Consumer Reports, checks pricing, tries to stay informed of what's available so that when the time comes he can make a good decision.

He decided that in all probability, he would get a smallish SUV. We like to take the pets on trips when possible, so besides our luggage, his CPAP, his laptop, books or whatever incidental things we might want to bring, we often have four pet crates; food, water and dishes for everyone; toys; treats; a litterbox - a lot of stuff to get into his little Saturn or even my car, because although it's larger, much of my trunk space is sectioned off for storage for the top (it's a convertible).

Alan has three basic requirements for his new ride, one general and two specific: he wants the design to look more like a Jeep and less like a minivan, he wants a manual transmission, he wants an iPod jack. He would like a sunroof but says that's not a dealbreaker. The manual transmission has been the problem. He very strongly wants this, and I agree - more economical, much more fun to drive; to get a manual transmission in my Sebring, they had to go a couple of states over, but I've got one! Problem is, with many brands the manual tranny is available on only the most stripped-down, bare bones models so he can't get the other two things he wants.

I'm the gearhead in the family. I care about looks, features, acceleration and performance, coolness factor - Alan has a much more utilitarian view of the automobile. Does it get me from Point A to Point B? SOLD! So it was quite amusing to me that Alan's basic, minimal three not-too-much-to-ask requirements are readily available on one, and only one S.U.V.

No, not the Ford Escape. Not the Saturn Vue. Not even the Lincoln Aviator.

No, Alan's wishes can be realized instantly with *drum roll*

The Porsche Cayenne.

Within ten minutes of phoning the dealership, I had an e-mail detailing the three base models and one GTS meeting his criteria, all with the sunroof too, and with the salesperson offering to search further afield if Alan didn't like any of those colors/option combos.

(We aren't getting a Porsche Cayenne. I just think it's funny that to meet his whopping three requirements, he'd have to get a freakin' Porsche.)

5 Comments:

  • heh...I saw an article about a pictured SUV and thought to myself if I was ever getting another ride, this would be it...then, I read closely the article for price, make, model, etc. Guess what...it was

    *drum roll*

    a Porsche Cayenne

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 AM  

  • I really know nothing about cars... but from what I gather the car meets every requirement except the huge hole it makes in your pocket???
    So, should I be happy or not for the find? :)

    By Anonymous Inna, at 10:52 AM  

  • Inna, it's probably funny only if you know Alan, and how very little he cares about cars. I'm more 'into' cars, driving sports cars, etc. and he doesn't care at all, so the coolness of driving a Porsche would be completely lost on him. Not that he would ever spend that much on a car anyway.

    By Blogger Helly, at 11:33 AM  

  • I am quite sure you both know this already, but #3 can be handled very easily by getting whatever car you damn well please. 99% of the cars out there now will have a direct-in jack for MP3 players, and those that don't because they're stripped-down models -- well, then you spend $150 on a new stereo for the car. Done.

    cheers,
    Phil

    By Blogger Phil C., at 2:46 PM  

  • Ah, Phil - that would be too easy!!!

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home