The Hellhole

Sunday, January 25, 2009

My friend Will e-mailed to remind me that a certain sporting event looms nigh and that hundreds of...dozens of...tens of...okay, two faithful readers are depending on me. "When are you going to get round to the most important post of the year? When do I get to read the most interesting post of the year?? Who's going to win the Super Bowl???"

You see, each year I predict the Super Bowl winner based upon The Parseghian Principle, my theory that the winner of any sporting contest can be determined by counting the number of Notre Dame alumni on the active rosters; the team with the most Fightin’ Irishmen wins (obviously). Sometimes circumstances require that I put a bit more work into it, such as roster/depth chart considerations, Notre Dame player position, analysis of the offensive and defensive styles of the teams involved, etc. but this year I won't have to do that. Statistically, in the decade or so since formulating The Parseghian Principle, I have been wrong twice but The Principle has failed only once; last year, I was foolish enough (or perhaps blinded by Tom Brady love) to publically go against my very own Principle but while I might have been wrong, The Parseghian Principle held true.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, in an astonishing lack of forethought, have not got one single Notre Dame player on their roster. The Arizona Cardinals, in contrast, have two: defensive end Bertrand Berry and guard/tackle Mike Gandy. Thus, an Arizona win is indicated. This is good news for Will, who was feeling slightly pro-Cardinal anyway.

In unrelated news, today is my husband's Happy Birthday, which means it is also my mom's Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday, Mom & Alan!!!

5 Comments:

  • I too have been waiting for the prediction; I don't have a 'dog in this hunt'.

    Happy Birthday to the best son-in-law I have! Love you, Alan!

    Mommikey

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 PM  

  • We wished Alan a happy birthday on Facebook, but we'd like to also wish Mikey a very happy b-day! We hope you've both had a terrific day, at just the very beginning of the birthweek celebration.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 PM  

  • Oh, and I'm feeling pro-Cardinal, mostly because Kurt Warner has been Leigh-Ann's fantasy QB for a couple of seasons and because we're closer to AZ than Pittsburgh. We just try to put his Jesus Freakiness out of our minds. We believe that if there's any praying to be done, a football game outcome would rate really really low. If that poor Miss World contestant, whose parents are super religious couldn't get through, I'm hoping that the guardian at the gate of prayers is stopping all the sports related ones as well, in fairness.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 PM  

  • I trust your judgement. I am totally rooting for Arizona and perhaps placing a small bet.

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 10:23 AM  

  • OK, slight problem. Will was not feeling "pro-cardinal", he was feeling anti-steelers :^) This might have been to do with maria expressing an interest in "Big Ben". However, it appears, after further consultation, that she has no interest in "Big Ben" - she actually likes the steelers.

    Suddenly I have a problem. You see, once you take out the fact that the steelers' QB is no longer a potential "man-o'desire", that I want to fail (I am this shallow), I realise that I don't like the Cards and prefer Pittsburgh.

    So, last year, I went out on a limb and picked the team that Helly didn't (even though she bucked her own methodology). This year I am going to do the same. Yep, 48 hours ago I was behind the Cards. Today (and until the final whistle blows on Sunday afternoon) I am declaring my allegiance to The Pittsburgh Steelers.

    Yes, I realise that it runs against your method of prediction but, if you could do it last year, I can do it this.

    Happy b'day to Alan and mum :^)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home