The Hellhole

Friday, January 16, 2009

I'm now back at home from my doctor's appointment. Things are neither as good nor as bad as they might be but I am feeling much calmer and less stressed because there is now a plan. A plan is important; now that I know what we're going to do and when we're going to do it, I am much more serene. [If you've seen Kung Fu Panda, think of that scene where Shi-Fu chants "Innerpeaceinnerpeaceinnerpeace!" to himself.)

I am having surgery on the 26th and if all goes well, I will be back at home the same day. It is a proven fact that puppehs and kittehs speed one's recovery, so that is best. I'm having a loop electrosurgical excision procedure, where my doctor will remove all the bad bits and surrounding tissue. If she gets it all (i.e., all surrounding tissue is normal with a bad bit in the middle), I won't have to do anything further. If by chance she doesn't get it all, I'll have to have the same procedure again, but that's it - no localized radiation, it's not major knock-you-out cut-you-open surgery, it hasn't spread deeper or into other areas. I will have to have follow-up examinations more frequently, to make sure it doesn't recur (which is possible) but that's all.

It's more extreme/invasive than cryo or laser excision, but far less extreme than some of the other alternatives. So there you have it - looks like I'm going to be around to blog another day or three.

9 Comments:

  • Awesome! The blogosphere would not be the same with out you ;)

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 3:45 PM  

  • I've been thinking about you all day. It sounds like an excellent plan! I'm glad you have puppies, a kitty, and a doting husband to see you through it.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 10:42 PM  

  • A plan is good! I'm glad that you found it sooner rather than later. I expect nothing but good news after the surgery!!

    By Blogger Kristal, at 9:43 AM  

  • I'm glad to hear this news. I hope all goes very well for you!

    By Blogger basil, at 10:49 AM  

  • Sounds good. From what I've read, they've had good success with the LEEP procedure (I know saying procedure after LEEP is like saying VIN number, but it seems weird without it), so I hope it works as well for you. Oh, and if you end up with pain meds for more than a day or so, don't forget to take Colace or MiraLAX (so far, I've discovered that it's best when mixed with Horchata) for the unfortunate side effect.

    Bummer about the extra follow-ups, but glad you'll be around to have to have them. It's also a good reminder that I'm a bit late for my lady parts check-up. I love our gyn, but I don't love him so much that I want to see him when I'm naked. Although, seeing him isn't nearly as bad as the ickiness I went through when I had to see the urologist. Ick, ick, ick.

    I'll cross my legs for you on the 26th.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:18 AM  

  • YAY! Plans are good!!! So glad for you!

    Also - if you want to email me, I *may* have an idea for a little surgery care-package for ya (since I've been there before, and so I know how things like chocolate and girly DVDs can help!)

    By Blogger Z, at 8:43 PM  

  • nice blog,I Will be more than glad to share this blog

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 AM  

  • Hey, Helly:

    Glad to hear there's a plan, and glad it doesn't involve anything too invasive (or radiation!)

    Here's to the healing power of puppehs and kittehs!

    -Sandy

    By Blogger Topcat, at 9:09 AM  

  • Thanks, everyone, for your kind thoughts and good wishes. Flippy, you crack me up! Keep those legs crossed for me!

    By Blogger Helly, at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home