The Hellhole

Monday, December 08, 2008

On Saturday I had to take Sprocket to the vet for his annual checkup/shots so Friday night I gave him a bath. I found this lump on his neck - a hard black bump. I knew it was some recent growth; I didn't think I'd have overlooked it during his previous bath about a month ago but even if I had, I knew it hadn't always been there. I was so scared! I was imagining all sorts of terrible things, skin cancer, a tumor, a malignant cyst, something awful. I was sure that Fate was punishing me for my greed in wanting two puppies by taking one away. As always, my imagination ran wild with all the horrible things that might transpire and I had a rough night Friday worrying about my precious doggy.

His appointment was at 9AM and much to my everlasting, heartfelt relief it was nothing. Dr. Mike said, "What he's got here is your standard garden-variety wart." It's nothing dangerous or that is causing Sprocket any pain. It can be removed or left alone, so long as Sprocket leaves it alone - Dr. Mike says the biggest problem is Sprocket finding it and scratching it, worrying at it. Right now the plan is to wait until February, when he will be anesthetized anyway for his teeth cleaning, and remove it then. I was SO. INCREDIBLY. RELIEVED, you just can't imagine. I was so terrified that something might be wrong with my darling fuzzy boy.

The rest of my weekend was pretty lazy, in a nice relaxing way. It's good that I enjoyed it because now I have to get busy, get off my behind and do some Christmas shopping. This year, I'm even more behind than usual.

7 Comments:

  • Phew! Big sigh of relief! The Puppeh is okay!

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 4:50 PM  

  • I'm relieved for you! I can just imagine the worry. I'm really glad he's okay.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 7:25 PM  

  • YAY for it just being a wart! (And kinda weird to be cheering FOR a wart, but, eh...)

    By Blogger Z, at 9:09 AM  

  • Thank the gods my granddog is all right! Whew!

    grandmuvver

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 AM  

  • Sprocket thanks everyone for your concern and sends wet puppy kisses your way!

    By Blogger Helly, at 11:17 AM  

  • Sorry I'm late to the whole "Whew" thing but wow, whew!

    Big hugs!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

  • I'm so far behind on blog reading (and blog posting, after the flurry of posting in November w/ the possibility of a "prize" dangling over my head - which I did not win) that I apologize for being late on this. I was going to guess that it was a sebaceous cyst, which all of our dogs (and a couple of our cats) have gotten. When you squeeze 'em, you get gross waxy crap out of them, but they're harmless as long as you make sure they don't get infected because sometimes the "squeeze" leaves a big hole. Yuk!

    I'm glad it was just a wart though, and no squeezing is involved - some pets tolerate being manhandled much better than others.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home