The Hellhole

Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm at home today, only semi-working as I have an enforced day away from the office. I can still log onto our server, read and respond to e-mail but I have none of my files and stuff. I'm home because I'm stranded.

I had to go to the corporate headquarters yesterday, some 65 miles away - not my favorite thing as I have to get up way early both because it's further away than my usual office and because of morning rush hour traffic, it takes quite a while. But it was okay until I tried to come home. Yesterday evening, my (still fairly new, pretty low miles) car suddenly died - utterly without preamble, no strange sounds from the engine, no warning lights, no 'check engine', just one minute it was fine, the next I had no power and it would not re-start.

Luckily this happened on a very busy thoroughfare during rush hour (if you're familiar with Gwinnett County, I was on 124 just above Sugarloaf Parkway) so it wasn't like it was a big problem or anything. /sarcasm

I have roadside assistance, like Triple-A, but through Allstate, so I called them. I had to have my sweet little convertible towed nearly 40 miles to my dealership. It was such fun, especially the waiting nearly an hour for the tow truck. In the dark. Next to the Goodwill store & a pawn shop. It's not a bad area per se but there were lots of unsavory types on foot, on bicycles, etc. passing by. Checking me out, assessing my victim quotient, making me nervous. I don't know why I was nervous; I probably had them all beat for sheer meanness, but I was getting askeered. OF COURSE this happened just after the service department had closed, so I was not able to speak to anyone at the dealership about this; I just had it towed there and left it.

This morning I am told that my fuel pump will have to be replaced, at a not insignificant cost, though I suppose it's not so bad as it might be. Grrr.

7:45PM UPDATE: the dealership called a little before 5PM to say that my car was ready. My mom came up, fetched me, took me to pick it up and consoled me with a nice dinner. I had some shrimps. That was cool. I'm glad I have my car back now and that tomorrow won't be a giant hassle.

2 Comments:

  • I totally feel your pain. I'm car-less until sometime, maybe, next week. What a hassle!

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 10:25 PM  

  • A good meal always makes things seem not so bad, especially if the meal has shrimps. Glad you got your car back.

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home