The Hellhole

Monday, November 26, 2007

I CAN HAS HOGFATHER!!!

Yesterday I was working on this project and channel-surfing. I have very strict rules for viewing while working: I want the television on and it must be something I'd normally watch - as in, not a shopping channel or a cheesy Lifetime movie - but it needs to be something to which I don't have to pay close, 100% attention. The Simpsons and Family Guy DVDs are ideal for this purpose, but yesterday I settled on the Sci-Fi channel which was showing Pirates of the Caribbean, which qualified because I'd seen it several times before.

Then I heard, during a commercial break, "'Twas the night before Hogswatch..." and I thought vaguely, "Yes, it's getting to be that time of -- WAIT A TICK! Hogswatch?!? Did he say HOGSWATCH?!?" Yes, indeed he did and ION, a channel I wasn't even aware that I had, was broadcasting both episodes of the two-part "Hogfather" that very night. SCORE!

I adore Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. I am the human female embodiment of Rincewind, I love the witches, I love how you can read one as a funny, entertaining book but on a deeper level it is the greatest social satire of our time. I have an especial affection for Hogfather, because about a decade or so ago, a time when I'd never heard of Terry Pratchett, Discworld, or Death's magnificent steed Binky, I espied, on a shelf at Chapter 11 bookstore, a brightly coloured picture of Death, dressed in a Santa suit, driving a sleigh pulled by pigs. Intrigued and amused, I bought it and instantly loved it, proving that sometimes you CAN judge a book by its cover. Or its cover art, at any rate.

My choice turned out to be more correct than I knew. Terry himself has said that while he intends them to be stand-alone novels, the only exception being Lords and Ladies, which is much more a 'sequel' and makes a lot more sense/you'll get a lot more from the jokes if you read the other two witch novels (Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad) first, but according to the Man Himself, if you are absolutely not going to read them in order, you should start with Hogfather. I was following the author's advice without even trying.

I didn't even know of this production of Hogfather, or I'd have been burning up the intarweb trying to obtain it. The UK release would have been fine; I have a region-free DVD player. I already have the animated Wyrd Sisters, the animated Soul Music and two of the three Discworld Playstation games (I don't have the third only because it was a European release and won't work in my console). About 2 minutes after the broadcast ended (hey, I had to widdle) I was online trying to find a copy and today, today! my sweetie went to Border's and bought it! SQUEE! TRIPLE-SQUEE!

That's not how big a Pratchett geek I am, though. No, the true measure of my geekitude comes from this factoid: I actually know how to play Cripple Mr. Onion. And I have.

6 Comments:

  • Dear Rince...er, Helster,
    That is so way far woot kewl! Someday I may borrow?

    love,
    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

  • I am SUCH a Terry Pratchett fan. A friend of mine introduced me to him a couple of years ago and although, I've only read 2 of his books, I think he's hilarious. That kind of humor appeals to me. Anyways, I must check those books out. There's another Sci Fi author I like that has that sort of dark humor you might enoy. Simon R. Green - not the DeathStalker series, which I haven't read, but his other major series which is a lot more recent.

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 12:10 PM  

  • Simon R. Green is very well thought of here at Valentine Wolfe HQ, which is kind of obvious if you've read DeathStalker (Valentine Wolfe is one of the greatest villains ever, kind of a cross between Oscar Wilde, Allister Crowley, and Darth Vader). So Margarita, Give them a read. I just finished the Man With the Golden Torque, which was awesome and hilarious. Gotta love the blurb on the last page: Shamon Bond will return in "Daemons are Forever". W00T.
    -Bo, who has never bought a Sausage in a Bun from CMOT Dibbler.

    By Blogger Valentine Wolfe, at 1:45 PM  

  • Is this where I tell you about the time my radio theatre group performed "Guards! Guards!" at Dragon*Con a few years back? With special guest John Rhys-Davies? And I played Carrot? :)

    cheers,
    Phil

    By Blogger Phil C., at 9:39 PM  

  • Margarita, Bo - thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check out some Simon R. Green.

    Phil, I cannot think of anyone who'd make a better Carrot Ironfoundersson than you. And I mean that in the highest possible way. Er, lowest! Lowest! It's a dwarf thing! *singing* Gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold...

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:43 PM  

  • P.S. I am bemused to learn, by following my own linkage, that my copy of Wyrd Sisters is going for $75 or so used, a bargain compared to Soul Music which starts at over $100. Not that Pratchett isn't worth it, just *in a Gir voice* I had NO idea!

    By Blogger Helly, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home