The Hellhole

Friday, September 24, 2004

It’s a Formula One weekend with the inaugural race at Shanghai, but since we’ve never raced there before, I don’t have much to say with regard to history, analysis or predictions. Not that my prediction has differed much throughout this season anyway: look for Herr Schumacher’s shiny red car on the top step of the podium. So, instead of a Formula One theme, today it’s just some bits and pieces:

Check it out - I’ve changed my "contact me" link to my g-mail address. At first I didn’t understand why I needed a g-mail address because I already have four work e-mail addresses (the WGB owns lots of companies, in whole or in part) and two AOHell addresses, but then Alan explained that, because g-mail is by invitation only, you get the 31337 geek cred. I’m all about the geek cred, so Alan hooked me up and now I gots the g-mail goin on, yo.

Remember how I said, way back on Monday 9/20, that I was going to wait about buying Silent Hill 4 because of all the unfinished/unplayed games I already own? Well, I made it all the way to Wednesday before I caved. But it wasn’t my fault! Target had it on sale! I’ve only played a handful of minutes, though. I’m saving it until I’m a little less worn-out and run down, because the Silent Hills are so much more fun (in a scary, spooky, tingly way) if you play them in the dark of the night. Lately, I’ve been asleep by dark - or wanting to be.

My friends are house-hunting. I called to warn Nancy of the most dangerous and least suspected pitfall in home buying, but it seems that her husband already shares my fear and loathing of The Stupid Address. I would HATE to live somewhere with a really lame-ass address. I know of a few subdivisions in which I wouldn’t be willing to live, even if someone gave me the house free of charge or my proverbial dream home was located there at 1/20 the expected price. Some, built in the Toco Hills area during the seventies, are particularly heinous. For example, there’s the car subdivision (Briarcliff just past Clairmont) with streets like Impala (not so so bad), Chrysler (eeuw), LeBaron (double eeuw) and Bonneville (no. Just NO.). They may be okay to drive but I don’t want to live in one, you know? Worse than the car subdivision is the Christmas-themed one off North Druid Hills, which wouldn’t be so bad if you lived on Holly Lane but would suck if you lived on Christmas Lane, Reindeer Drive or (shudder) Santa Claus Lane. Worst of all, lurking off LaVista Road lies...(an inadvertently recurring theme this week) the Ponderosa subdivision! -which contains streets like Bonanza Drive and Cartwright Drive. Living there wouldn’t be all that awful if you were fortunate enough to have a house on Whispering Pines, but woe be unto you who reside upon Lil Joe Lane - not ‘Little’ Joe, mind you, but ‘Lil’, which makes it just that much worse in my opinion, or even (shudder) Hop Sing Circle. It would irritate me every time I called Dominos if I had to admit that I lived on Lil Joe Lane. But anyway, Mark rejected one residence based on its location ("Brickleberry Ridge") so I can relax; my friends are safe from the looming menace of the Stupid Address.

Lurch the Creepy Maintenance Guy update (see July 12, 16 and 27 for more on Lurch): Lurch is still creepy but now he has decided that he and I are buds. Good buds. In case you were wondering, the only thing more eerie and unsettling than Lurch being psycho is Lurch being psycho AND friendly. It’s totally freakazoidal. He’ll come in and say, for example, "I’m here to check that light", I’ll say, "Oh, okay" and he won’t say anything further, nor go to check the light - he’ll just keep standing there, staring, with this vacant, strange look in his eyes (which is what he did before) and this disturbing smile on his face (which is a new development). I tried to salvage something from the situation by lording it over my co-worker. I boasted to her, "You know when Lurch goes crazy and kills all y’all, I’m gonna be spared because he and I are such good friends!" Sheila was having none of that, and replied, "Yeah, well, Lurch is just gonna KILL us, but you he’s gonna kill and eat, because he liiiiiiikes you!" EEEEEEEK!

MONTOYA DELENDA EST!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home