The Hellhole

Monday, September 20, 2004

It is Monday morning and time to total up the 2004 Swag Haul as Wednesday was my Happy Birthday. If you didn’t call me, e-mail me or send loot, I hate you now.

No, that’s not true - it’s not about gifts, it’s about having lots of great friends who love you...and demonstrate it with fabulous gifts. No, really, I’m not mercenary. I swear.

So, Wednesday opened with a phone call from my favorite undersea invertebrate, Spongebob Squarepants, arranged by my wonderful boyfriend. He also sent me a lovely Cape Jasmine (my favorite flower). Later that day a red velvet cake arrived courtesy of Cheryl, Beverly and Daddy Bill (my second set of parents). I got a card and a check from my aunt and uncle, cards from Alan’s parents and his brother Christopher, the World’s Greatest Boss gave a very sweet card with a large sum of money, my salesweasel gave me a gift certificate for Spa Sydell - not to mention quite a number of phone calls/messages, e-mails and e-cards.

Friday night, I attended our regional theatre’s production of Fiddler on the Roof, directed by my friend and cohort Anne. What a fantastic job she did! The performance was really incredible. It was sold out Friday and oversold for Saturday - I can see why. I don’t mean this as an insult although it’s probably going to sound this way, but I was amazed at the phenomenal level of talent in our little podunk burg. The fellow who played Tevye had a voice that belonged at the Met, no kidding. Anne’s husband Jim and stepdaughter Colleen were in the production too and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Plus, it was further proof that Alan loves me. It’s not every day you find a straight man who’s willing to sit through musical theatre...Jewish musical theatre at that. Seriously, I thought the cast and crew did a terrific job - go Anne!!!

Alan gave me a Ferrari as a birthday gift: a 1/10 scale model of the F-1 racer, all 719 parts of which he put together himself. It’s gorgeous and I can’t believe the time and effort he put into it. On Saturday we went to World Market, where I purchased two bottles of Chateau Ste. Michelle merlot with part of my birthday money. I was gonna hit Best Buy for Silent Hill 4 too, but I decided to wait a few weeks, partly so the price will go down some, partly because I have several unfinished games on the shelf already and a couple I have barely started. I’ll definitely buy it, but I may as well wait a bit and save a few bucks, hopefully enough to buy Kingdom Hearts 2. Later that evening Alan and I went to Imperial Fez for the final part of my birthday gift; it’s a Moroccan restaurant that’s indescribably wonderful. The food is sublime but that’s only a part of the overall experience. Silk covers every wall, every post, every pillow; you lounge about on cushions as you sample tasty, exotic dishes while belly dancers whirl to the music...just incredible. As well as some regular dancing, the dancers did the magnificent sword dance (check the photos on Rafih’s website!). We ran into Christopher’s favorite blues guitarist, Sean Costello, who was also dining there with his girlfriend. Unsolicited advertisement: check Sean out next month at the Harvest Moon Blues Festival.

Sunday afternoon we went over to the ‘rents for dinner. Bo and Sarah came over, too. Mom made her famous homemade chicken fajitas and I got a chocolate cake with white icing, a nautical theme and a Spongebob on top. Yes, I am aware that I’m over thirty. I gotta bawwoon, too! Mom and Dad gave me a vintage Toronto St. Pats hockey sweater - w00T! Bo and Sarah gave me a Notre Dame sports flag and a framed picture of one of Sarah's photographs: a black-and-white shot of a tree in winter with ice in the branches (beyond beautiful). I also got, from the whole fam, the first season of Night Gallery on DVD. I love Night Gallery, particularly episodes like "Camera Obscura", "Certain Shadows on the Wall" and "Hells Bells". My favorite episode is "The Tune in Dan’s Café" so I’ll be needing Season Two as well, whenever it comes out. (Incidentally, "The Tune in Dan's Café" stars Pernell Roberts, who, although a talented actor from Georgia (Waycross), oddly did not appear in Anne's production of Fiddler. Another bit of trivia: the actual tune from "The Tune in Dan's Café" is Jerry' Wallace's "If You Leave Me Tonight I'll Cry" which I own on a 45 rpm record.)

All in all, it was a tremendously, outstandingly fun birthday weekend and I enjoyed every minute. Thanks, everybody!!!

MONTOYA DELENDA EST!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home