The Hellhole

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Well, I am late posting today's entry thanks to 'Begin2Search', an insidious, horrible, unspeakably vile toolbar that Ad-Aware can't get rid of, which self-installs along with tons of associated crap that also self-installs and takes for-effing-ever to get rid of, and I hate it SO MUCH! Totally eradicating it is time-consuming and difficult, because it requires me to use the dreaded 'regedit' command, and delete 14, yes that's FOURTEEN registry keys and a couple of registry values (along with endless .dll files and .lnk files). I am frightened by 'regedit' because I am just computer-savvy enough to know that I'm not computer-savvy at all, and I rid myself of Begin2Search bit by bit, in utter terror that I'm deleting something important along with BEGIN2SEARCH WHICH IS SATAN'S SOFTWARE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Anyway, if I had been able to get Internet Exploder (that wasn't a typo) to function properly earlier, and not had to spend ALL EFFING AFTERNOON performing an exorcism with ones and zeros, this is what I would have posted for today.

Yesterday I mentioned that my favorite Night Gallery episode ("The Tune In Dan’s Café") starred Pernell Roberts. He played Joe Bellman. But he was more famous for playing Adam Cartwright on Bonanza, which allows me to demonstrate the veracity of my claim that I am a veritable font of useless information. Remember the "Bonanza" theme song? DadadadadadadadadadadaDADA? Well, it didn’t just go like that; it had words. I know the words.
*ahem*

We chased lady luck till we finally struck - Bonanza!
With a gun and a rope and a hat full of hope, planted a family tree.
We got hold of a pot of gold - Bonanza!
With a horse and a saddle and a range full of cattle, how rich can a fellow be?

On this land we put our brand;
Cartwright is the name.
Fortune smiled the day we filed
The Ponderosa claim.
Here in the west, we're livin' the best Bonanza!
If anyone fights any one of us, he's gotta fight with me Bonanza!

Hoss and Joe and Adam know every rock and pine,
No one works, fights, or eats, like those boys of mine.
Here we stand in the middle of a grand Bonanza.
With a gun and a rope and a hatful of hope, we planted our family tree,
We got hold of a potful of gold, Bonanza.
With a houseful of friends where the rainbow ends, how rich can a fellow be?

On this land we put our brand;
Cartwright is the name.
Fortune smiled the day we filed
The Ponderosa claim.
Here in the west, we're livin' the best Bonanza!
With the friendliest, fightingist, loving band,
That ever set foot in the promised land, and we're happier than them all.
That's why we call it - !Bonanza!

Even if you are sitting there pompously thinking, "I knew ‘Bonanza’ had words" - MOM - well ha ha because I also know the words to the Star Trek theme, which was composed by Alexander Courage, as I’m sure many a Trekkie knows, but Miss Repository of Obscure Trivia here knows that the illustrious Gene Roddenberry wrote it some words, too. It's a mushy love song, gods know why, but it goes like this:

Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love is wand'ring in star-flight
I know he'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love, strange love a star woman teaches.
I know his journey ends never
His star trek will go on forever.
But tell him while he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.

Mr. Spock! Begin2Search is attacking! Set phasers on 'annihilate'! And Captain! Quit splitting that infinitive at the beginning of every episode! It vexes me!

MONTOYA DELENDA EST!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home