The Hellhole

Monday, July 19, 2004

I had a great weekend, spent almost entirely with Alan. He came over Saturday mid-afternoon and we hung out for a while, then went on a grocery run to get something for dinner. We wound up doing steaks, salad and potatoes, which I figured would be safe. Then again, how humiliating would it have been to burn microwave potatoes in front of a chef?!? (Well, an ex-chef.) Fortunately for my self-esteem, I didn’t burn the potatoes and was further able to show off my culinary cleverness by opening bag o’salad and grating some cheddar cheese. Go, me! Of course, then I couldn’t get the zip-lock on the bag of croutons to close and had to summon expert help, but there you go.

Since I live alone and have only my own preferences to consider, the one kind of salad dressing I knew I had on hand is the kind I like - Hidden Valley Ranch. NORMAL Hidden Valley Ranch, not low fat, not extra bacon, not garlic, not Kroger’s HVR close-approximation - regular, normal Hidden Valley Ranch. Although Alan said ranch dressing was fine, I was determined to offer him a choice. I found a recently purchased gourmet Caesar and, deep in the depths of the fridge, a bottle of Kroger Italian. The Italian expired in December 2003. Which is not the worst thing I’ve ever done: I once found a Hot Pocket way back in the back of my freezer that was two-and-a-half YEARS expired. Factoring in how far into the future the Hot Pockets expiration date probably was, I figure that damn thing had been in the freezer five or six years. Oddly enough, Alan opted for the Hidden Valley Ranch - go figure.
 
Sunday I went over to Alan’s and we watched my King Crimson DVD ("Eyes Wide Open"). I rather suspect he was motivated more by an inclination to indulge me than a deep and abiding desire for some hard core prog-rock, but I’ll take it; hopelessly overindulged is a great thing to be as far as I’m concerned. We had dinner at Doc Chey’s and watched some Invader Zim, so it was damn near a perfect weekend in my book. (What would have made it totally perfect? All that plus a Ferrari Formula One victory, as if you had to ask.) 

MONTOYA DELENDA EST!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home