The Hellhole

Sunday, June 23, 2013

One Woman Wrecking Crew

I've managed to destroy a lot of our electronics.  I didn't mean to do it.  Alan was outside talking to our yard guy, Tim, and I picked up his Logitech remote to turn on the radio-stations-on-TV, and dropped it.  It hit at the absolute worst possible angle - if it were a millimeter different right, left, or sideways nothing would have happened.  But the precise trajectory that it hit caused the front and back of the case to split apart, which I thought was no big deal - I clicked the pieces back together.  Except it had split far enough to crack the screen, so the remote probably still worked but I couldn't see where to click the screen for it to do anything.

So we went to Best Buy to buy Alan another remote control. This kind, you program on line by entering in all of your serial and model numbers so it knows what you expect it to operate.  Thus, we were in the living room turning all our entertainment equipment up, down and backwards to get the necessary numbers so we could program the new remote.  He had the stand pulled out and was looking at the television, while I inverted the Blu-Ray player.  I didn't know that there was a disc in it, and as i turned it upside down to read the numbers, I heard this fateful "click".  Bloody hell.

We eventually got his Tai Chi DVD out of the player, but with pushing 'open', 'close' and coaxing the disc tray, the Blu-Ray player decided that it wouldn't work any longer as we expected.

Off we went to H.H. Gregg for another Blu-Ray player.  We found a cute Samsung one that was half the size of the one we had, for about $60 bucks, and it had internet, which made us happy.  We have greatly enjoyed Amazon instant video through my PS3 so we were looking forward to that feature on our Blu-Ray player.  When we got it home and tried to set it up, however, we discovered that it had internet in the sense that, if you plugged a cable into one end and the other into our router, it would have internet.  Since I didn't want 1,000 feet of CAT-5 cable running down our hall, we returned to H.H. Gregg for a different Blu-Ray player.

We wound up spending about $100 for a Sony that's so little! and cute! and has wireless internet compatibility!  It came pre-loaded with tons of things, like it streams Amazon instant video, Netflix, Pandora and about a hundred other things.  I like it a lot, but I never would have upgraded so long as our existing one still worked.  I am miserly that way.

The only thing that would have made this scenario 100% Helly is if I'd tripped getting up and fallen headfirst into the flat-screen TV.  Fortunately, it's still intact.

For now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home