The Hellhole

Monday, May 16, 2011

Baby Steps

A few people have e-mailed me asking me to resume blogging. It's nice to know I've been missed. To be honest, a few times I've logged on intending to delete the blog, but hesitated and ultimately (obviously) didn't, not because I thought that I would take it up again but because I thought I might want to refer back to it for when something happened/when I did what. That's been a useful function of my blog over the years as, while I might not think something happened two days ago or even two weeks ago, it is usually kind of a surprise to find that the something happened eight months ago...but anyway.

This May is probably a good time to return to blogging as we are having a very busy month fraught with activity. Every weekend so far, we've had An Event for both weekend days. As far as the first weekend of the month, we went to Montgomery, Alabama to see Wilco. We stayed here and went to the concert here. Wilco is one of Alan's favorite bands and we were in the eleventh row so pretty great seats. While I mean no disrespect to them, I enjoyed it thoroughly and the concert was great (acoustics in that venue are FABULOUS), they're a little too mellow for my taste. Still, it was a fun trip and a great evening.

Some funny and interesting things happened during the course of our mini-trip to Alabama, but I'll write about them and subsequent events (it's been a busy May) in following posts. There were funs and good meals and weddings and reunions and stuff...

One intriguing thing was this building. A valet parking dude told us totally straight-faced that the little pink catafalque thing on top of the burgundy dome was the tomb of one of the building owners. He was unclear as to whether it was Mr. Steiner or Mr. Lobman, but certain that the guy wanted to be interred there to keep an eye on the family business. Locals that we spoke to were evenly divided between the "oh yeah absolutely isn't that weird?!?" camp and the "whaaaaat? omg I've never heard anything about that no way!" Interestingly enough, there is a friend of ours whose grandfather owned a building just down the very same block as that building and she said that she had always been told, growing up, that the tale was true and there was indeed a body in that little pink cement thing. I prefer to believe that it's true. Because dictating that you be buried in a cement coffin on top of your building is so much more interesting than 'we just did a weird arbitrary architectural thingy right there'.

6 Comments:

  • welcome back! If you are back. I will randomly post once or twice and then stop and then do it again, so on and so forth. Still. Nice to hear from you.
    [hugs]

    By Blogger maria, at 11:55 AM  

  • Lovely to see you blogging again Helly! We'll have to get you on audioboo next ... :-)

    By Blogger thermalsatsuma, at 12:49 PM  

  • Yay, you're back!! I'm so happy to see this. :-) Love the coffin story - I always try to believe in the most interesting possibility, too.

    I didn't know Alan was a Wilco fan. That's great you got to see them in concert. I haven't listened to a lot of their music, but Jesus, Etc. is one of my favorite songs.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 7:38 PM  

  • Thanks, y'all! I don't know about audioboo, Neil - I think my recorded voice makes me sound like I'm about twelve...when it doesn't make me sound like I'm nine. :-)

    By Blogger Helly, at 7:38 PM  

  • I'm so glad you're back!

    Afton

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 PM  

  • Yay! Welcome back!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home