The Hellhole

Monday, December 27, 2010

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. Ours was okay - nothing bad, just not what I'd hoped. We had a great Christmas Eve at my aunt and uncle's house. He grilled steaks and she had tons of tasty treats. It was good to see my cousins and meet my cousin Aaron's new fiance. Christmas Day we went to my mom's where she had spiced wine and a table groaning with meats, cheeses, all sorts of goodies. However, we got to stay only about 1/3 as long as I'd hoped because a storm of rain and sleet moved in and we were afraid we wouldn't be able to get back home. The storm continued throughout the night, turning to snow and the roads iced over. This meant that not only was our visit with Mom cut short, but we couldn't go to Augusta to visit Alan's family yesterday. I know we can see everyone another time and I have no right to complain because everyone is safe and healthy, but I was disappointed.

Among other treats, Mom gave Esme a tiny stuffed pink elephant, Mister Fusspot a blue hippopotamus and Sprocket a wild duck. Esme and Fusspot promptly switched toys; he's been carrying that elephant around everywhere and she is gnawing and gnawing on the hippopotamus. This prompted me to sing at various times, in the "Esme voice", "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas; only a hippopotamus will do!" Alan asked me, "Is that a real song or are you making it up?" I was surprised he hadn't heard it - have you?

3 Comments:

  • I heard it for the first time last year.

    It's lucky that they BOTH wanted to trade or it could have become unpleasant.

    Afton

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM  

  • I do know it - in fact, I'm singing it right now, in my head, and will be for days to come. (Thx.) Sorry to hear your Christmas plans got messed up by the weather. I would find that terribly disappointing.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 8:33 PM  

  • Well, it's not the worst thing ever, so I feel a bit silly complaining. We're very fortunate, lucky to have our families relatively nearby, still doing okay even in these difficult economic times and it was quite fun and spiffy (see how I avoided writing "cool"?) knowing we'd seen the first White Christmas in Atlanta in more than a century - the last one was 1882, I think Alan said. So, yeah, all the above is true and I know it but I can't help being disappointed that we couldn't spend time with all the family.

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home