The Hellhole

Monday, June 28, 2010

While grocery shopping at Publix, we walked by a bin of butcher bones for dogs. The ones on top were really huge so we started rummaging through to see if there were any small enough for our sweetlings. There were smaller ones, but even the smallest was too big for our puppehs, so we bought some of these instead. While rummaging, however, we found a container of creamy (as in mayonnaise-based, sorry Nancy!) spinach and artichoke dip from the deli. It had been there long enough that it didn't feel cold at all.

People confound me. I see enough items in random places at the grocery store to know that when some people change their minds about buying something, they stick it wherever they are instead of returning it to its proper place, but this dip was hidden in the bin of bones. No telling how long it had been sitting out, unrefrigerated.

We flagged down a passing employee, I handed him the dip and said, "We found this in that bin of dog bones."

"Oh, okay," he said, and started walking toward the deli. I could tell he planned to toss it back in with the other tubs of spinach dip.

"No," I called, stopping him. "We didn't just now change our minds about buying it. It's been sitting out in that bin there."

"*blank stare*...okay," dude replies, and continues toward the deli.

"You don't understand!" Alan chimed in. "It's been sitting out."

"*blank stare*...okaaaay," dude repeats and walks off toward the deli.

Alan and I exchanged looks of disbelief. He totally didn't understand why selling a tub of mayonnaise-based dip that had been sitting at room temperature for goodness knows how long was a bad idea. I didn't see it for myself, but I know he tossed that right back into the refrigerated case. I just know that's what he did.

5 Comments:

  • that's really gross. I hope its obvious enough that it has gone bad for the poor soul who's gonna buy it and possibly have to return it.

    By Anonymous Inna, at 9:21 PM  

  • How do we teach young people the importance of refrigeration?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 AM  

  • Clueless in America. Dangerous clueless.

    I was watching a re-run of the game show 1 vs. 100. The first question asked which month had an extra day on leap year. 10/100 GOT THE QUESTION WRONG. Thanks to our consumer culture almost all knew that the Izod symbol was an alligator.

    By Blogger basil, at 1:59 PM  

  • @dkzody I suggest making them eat that spinach dip.

    Diz-gust-ing.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 11:00 PM  

  • Ughhh. I took a food safety class when I worked at the bux, everyone who works with food should have to do that. Also, having to deal with a nasty bout of food poisoning helps.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home