The Hellhole

Saturday, March 06, 2010

We were at our favorite Mexican restaurant the other day and there was a table of rednecks sitting behind me. I heard them order and from what I could tell, their meal consisted of nachos and fajitas. We were still munching on chips, salsa and yummilicious cheese dip when their food arrived. Carlos, one of our favorite waiters and the nicest guy, did the usual, "Do you need anything else?" after their plates were delivered. Why yes - yes they did.

Butter. Butter. Now, I like me some butter on a warm roll, but - hot buttered nachos?!? WTF? Of course, I may be doing them a disservice. For all I know, the butter was for their fajitas.

But wait there's more.

Another person requested - wait for it - mustard. 'Cause beef fajitas taste like crap without some yellow mustard, y'know?

I was surprised they actually had mustard. Butter - well, they probably use that for cooking, but mustard?!? I can't imagine why they had mustard on hand because this is a real Mexican restaurant; they serve things like carnitas michoacan and camarones al ajillo. They don't have hamburgers and hot dogs on the menu for people who don't like Mexican food and yet, inexplicably, chose to eat at a Mexican restaurant.

Butter and mustard. What the hell are you doing with your Mexican food that you need butter and mustard?

Alan just came through, asked what I was doing and when I told him, reported from his perspective of facing the table of rednecks (my back was to them) that as far as the butter, what Carlos brought out was not a pat or a stick of butter, but that squeeze margerine stuff. Okay, that just makes it even weirder.

3 Comments:

  • Oddly enough, one of my former co-workers used to routinely ask for the squeeze margarine and use it on the chips when we went to the local Mexican place for lunch. And yes, she was a total redneck....
    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 AM  

  • oh.my.god. No. Seriously, no. How disgusting! I can't imagine. I'm sorry I am so late to the party - the reader is where I get all of my stuff and I just haven't read ANYONE in days. Nikos's birthday is coming up!

    much love, you!

    By Blogger maria, at 12:49 PM  

  • Mustard. On fajitas. ...

    And I bet they want that yeller mustard, none of that dijon crap.

    -Sandy

    PS: Alan's right, that guy is at total douchenozzle.

    By Blogger Topcat, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home