The Hellhole

Friday, October 23, 2009

Tonight it took me over two hours - OVER. TWO. HOURS. - to drive home from work, a horrible end to a horrible week. An hour or so before I left, there was a wreck that snarled up the interstate I take home, so I planned to take surface streets. This worked okay, if slowly, and once I re-entered the interstate just past the incident, I was making my way homeward slowly but surely. But! There's always a 'but', isn't there? But when I was about three inches past the exit right before mine, traffic came to a dead stop. There was yet another wreck just past my exit that had shut down the entire highway, and I just sat and sat and sat. And sat some more.

"What a horrible adventure with that traffic demon!" I said to The Husband as I finally entered our dwelling.

On the bright side, he felt sorry enough for me to take me to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, where they bring me Coronas and cheese dip with jalapenos automatically, and hug me and like me. I love Frontera.

After dinner we made a brief stop at the grocery store, mainly because I wanted a bottle of wine. But then Alan remembered that he'd finished off his dessert so we got another bar of red velvet cake, I wanted Oreos, he wanted some Chex mix and Pelligrinos for the coming week and he also found, in the Hallowe'en display, an assorted bag of his favorite miniature candy bars: Butterfinger, Nestle Crunch and Snickers. So we spent like fifty bucks buying wine, snacks, chocolate and dessert. On the way out to the car, I said, in reference to our high-school-aged cashier, "You know what that kid is thinking, right? 'D-A-M-N, those old people must smoke A LOT of weed. Like I mean really a lot of weed."

Alan, in a funny teenager voice: "Old people are WEIRD."

Me: "Meh, you know he only wants to be like us, eating tons of junk food and smoking weed."

Alan: "We don't smoke weed."

Me: "Yeah, but he doesn't know that. Sit back, let him envy us."

Alan: "I'm basking in the envy. Don't harsh my buzz."

2 Comments:

  • Things I miss about Atlanta: well-stocked grocery stores and good restaurants.
    Things I don't miss about Atlanta: I285 and every other road.

    -Sandy

    By Blogger Topcat, at 5:39 PM  

  • Do you guys need a roommate? I like the way you shop.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home