The Hellhole

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I love Neil Gaiman's writing. I fell in love first with the Sandman graphic novels, then with his prose (Neverwhere! American Gods! Mister Punch! Wolves In The Walls! Stardust!)...so one day at Border's when I happened upon a young adult novel of his, just out, called Coraline, I did not hesitate.

I will never look at buttons in the same way.

The next day, having finished my own copy of Coraline, I returned to Border's and bought their entire stock, which I distributed to my mom, my brother, my bestest friend, assorted and sundry buds to whom I thought the whimsy, delight and spookiness would appeal.

They've made a wonderful movie of Coraline, faithful to the narrative mostly, with the exception of a new character who serves mostly to keep Coraline from wandering around and talking to herself, but this addition integrates beautifully with the overall Gaiman concept. I TOTALLY LOVED THIS MOVIE. We saw it Saturday in 3-D and went to see it again this evening. *in a Gir voice* "I'm gonna watch it AGAIN!"

This movie was delightful from beginning to end, in the vocal performances of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, French&Saunders, the gorgeous interpretation of Gaiman's vision, the fabulous rendition of same in stop-motion 3-D, the music...oh, there's just no way my puny prose can do it justice. As much as I loved the book, to the point that I swear if I ever happen to produce a female offspring, I'm naming her Coraline, that's almost as much as I loved this movie. Oh, ahem, and Finnovar would like to add that, better than anything else, more important than any other consideration, is this: the real hero of the tale is a black cat.

Go see it. Go see it in 3-D. You won't be sorry. I promise.

Just - and this is more important than you realize - be careful what you wish for.

4 Comments:

  • I'm so glad to hear the movie was good. Ever since I learned the movie had been done, I have been intending to re-read my copy.

    KEWL!

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 AM  

  • If you see this movie, try to see it in 3D. It is light years away from any other 3D movie you've seen before. We've seen it twice so far, and we may go and see it a third time. Plus, the previews of some of the other movies coming out that use the same 3D technology as Coraline look pretty amazing also.

    By Blogger Alan Bowman, at 6:07 PM  

  • And I officially hate you :^)

    Due to stuff, stuff, and some other stuff, we can't get into the states, which means we can't see Coraline in 3-D, because they don't do subtitles in 3-D, and some fool (that'd be me) doesn't speak Spanish, and arrrrggghhhhhhh.

    Anyhoo, glad it was good for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:03 PM  

  • ¡Botones! ¡Los botones son asustadizos!

    ...or something like that. I dunno, I took Latin.

    By Blogger Helly, at 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home