The Hellhole

Thursday, August 14, 2008

I saw something odd today. I had to go to the bathroom (this is not a gross/TMI story, I promise). The ladies' rooms on my floor are arranged like this: to the left as you walk in is a little alcove with a sink, beyond which are the stalls. Opposite the row of stalls, on the right side of the room is a horizontal mirror with a shelf underneath it, which is about 10" deep I would guess.

So I walked into the bathroom and two women are standing there, using the counter underneath the mirror to busily fill out a bunch of Fed Ex airbills. They had a big stack of airbills they were working on, with two or three completed ones already set off to the side. Now, the counter in the ladies' room seemed like an odd choice of workspace, but this is what makes it really weird.

The Fed Ex office in my building is directly across the hall from that ladies' room. The Fed Ex office contains a service counter, two little desk areas on either side of the display of shipping materials, and a long cafeteria-type table along the wall opposite the service desk. So these two chicks are less than six steps away from several work surfaces intended for airbill completion, and instead are hanging in the women's restroom.

It seemed odd to me. I don't like to hang out in the ladies' room any longer than it takes to accomplish what's necessary, you know?

(And the Fed Ex office wasn't busy/slammed/crowded, either. I looked when I walked back to my office.)

4 Comments:

  • Maybe they were snubbing a male coworker?

    That's all I can come up with.

    Afton

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM  

  • I just talked to the FedEx manager (she's a pal of mine) and she couldn't figure it out either. Weird.

    By Blogger Helly, at 2:10 PM  

  • Do they like the height of the workspace in the bathroom? Do they not want male co-workers to see them filling out forms? Do they just like annoying females. (OK....at least THIS female).

    By Blogger basil, at 2:43 PM  

  • Maybe it was something that was supposed to have been done before and they were tardy, so they didn't want to risk their boss passing bye and catching them?

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home