The Hellhole

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm behind on video game and book reviews so today it's a double two-fer.

New video games I'm currently playing are Family Guy and Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am. I have similar remarks about both - they are very funny, highly entertaining and contain some truly hysterical moments but these games are definitely for fans of the series only. Video game aficionados will probably be disappointed that there's nothing new here in terms of gameplay: hack-and-slash, stealth missions, obligatory jumping levels for FG, ATHF is a golf game interspersed with hack-and-slash - but the cutscenes and side remarks are always humourous and sometimes truly sidesplitting, as with Stewie's "Has the Fat Man been eating red carpet?!?" and Shake's "LEEEEEROY JENKINS!" moment. Graphics are fine, on a par with the shows, controls are fine too but nothing innovative or groundbreaking is going on here. This is not to say anything negative about either game; I've thoroughly enjoyed both and they are well worth the cost, particularly true for me as I found both at well below the average PS2 price. If you're not a fan of the series, give it a pass - you won't like it for the gaming experience alone - but if you're a fan, hours of enjoyment await.

Book reviews: I recently finished Committed, a gift from Flippy and Leigh-Ann, which is Mark St. Amant's saga of his year dedicated to nothing but Fantasy Football domination. I truly enjoyed his writing style, the ups and downs of his team, reading more of his strategies and schemes, along with the good and bad results. While I don't think this book is exclusively appealing to fantasy sports players - in fact I think it offers good insight to the appeal of fantasy sports and accessible explanations regarding the inner workings of a fantasy football league - I do think an enjoyment and/or appreciation of sports in general (I'm looking at you, Nancy) is necessary to enjoy the tale; otherwise, I think his obsession would come off as both extreme and inexplicable, maybe even annoying. I, however, found it a delightful diversion.

Lastly, The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld, quite a bit heavier than a jaunt through one man's season of fantasy football. A murder mystery (or is it?) with several twists and turns is set against the historical backdrop of Sigmund Freud's 1909 visit to America. While more of a supporting character than a leading man, Freud and his theories figure into the investigation, headed by fictitious Stratham Younger, a doctor and student of the budding science of psychoanalysis. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of several aspects of the narrative: historically accurate glimpses into New York at the turn of the century, the politics of the scholarly world's acceptance/rejection of Freud, Jung et al, and the investigation of the murder and ancillary mysteries. I liked the characters of Younger, with his fascination with Hamlet and the parallels to Hamlet's themes that he saw playing out in his own drama; I liked Detective Littlemore - a bit one-dimensional, but quite likeable for all that, as I have a soft spot for a tough guy with a strict code of honour. One character in particular I thought so annoying that I was truly disappointed that she was not a victim of murder, but alas, 'twas not to be. The ending was a bit too convoluted and contrived, but it was a gripping tale nonetheless.

So there you have it: two great reads, if very different in appeal, and two video games that I'm sure you'll enjoy if you like the shows from which they derive.

3 Comments:

  • The 2nd book sounds like something I would like as well...

    Interesting, well done reviews.

    I'm proud of you!

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:04 PM  

  • Yeah, I agree, that second one sounds really good. Have you read The Coffee Trader or A Conspiracy of Paper? I found both of those really fascinatiing - maybe a little similar in that they involve real historical characters and events.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 7:39 AM  

  • I haven't read either, Nancy - thanks for the recommendations!

    By Blogger Helly, at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home