The Hellhole

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Casting frantically about in search of a topic so as not to fail so early on in NaBloPoMo, my mind is blank. I had a really long day yesterday because I had to go to our other office, about 65 miles away, had to get up mega-early, left right at rush hour and the commute home took well over two hours. Ugh. So all I want to do is bundle up in bed underneath the quilt with a good book.

A good book! Ah-ha, a topic! Why, yes, I HAVE read a good book lately: The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie, who is a British actor currently appearing on an American television show - Dr. House, maybe? I don't know; if it's not sports or a cartoon, I probably haven't seen it. Anyway, he's written a very funny satire of thriller/spy novels. It's a highly entertaining send-up of the James Bond-genre. Laurie has a wonderful command of the absurd, too - for example, describing his Femme Fatale, he writes: "She turned towards me and narrowed her eyes. If you know what I mean by that. Narrowed them horizontally, not vertically. I suppose one should say she shortened her eyes, but no one ever does." Most diverting, quite amusing and thoroughly Helly-recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home