The Hellhole

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I was mildly perturbed at Alan this evening when he wouldn't let me eat expired sour cream with my dinner. We were making a variety of appetizer-type things (potato skins, boneless buffalo wings, etc.) and I of course wanted sour cream with the potato skins. There are certain foods that I only eat as a conveyance for the other food I really want, like potato skins as a conveyance for sour cream, cake as a conveyance for icing, orange juice as a conveyance for champagne, plastic tubing as a conveyance for cookie dough...

Anyway, I freely admit that I am a Sour Cream Pig and there was a sealed, unopened carton in the fridge which, upon examination, had expired at the end of September but I opened it and it was lovely and white, sweet-smelling and tasted okay when I put a tiny, minuscule dollop on my tongue. But Alan caught me and got all old-womany and freaky and made me throw it away.

"But it's MY stomach! I'm willing to risk it!" I whined.

"And just who is going to have to hold your hair back when you're up all night throwing up?"

Wuss.

I caved in and ate NAKED potato skins with only melted cheese and bacon and pepper. Bleah. Ah, well, compromise is key in a successful marriage.

5 Comments:

  • Shellfish is a conveyance for cocktail sauce!

    I'll eat yogurt way past the expiration date, as long as it smells . . . like yogurt normally smells. I don't really eat sour cream much, but they're biologically related, aren't they?

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 11:08 PM  

  • It is my firm opinion that, as it's already 'sour' cream, if it ain't mouldy, it's ok! But that's just me......

    momma

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 AM  

  • That's preposterous! Sour cream is an INGREDIENT for potatoe skins! Mmm....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 PM  

  • Ladies, I could not agree more with each of you. I felt sure it was okay to eat as it looked, smelled and tasted as it should. I shouldn't have listened.

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:47 PM  

  • I agree, you should not have listened. It passed the sniff test and the taste test. Dairy is one of those things that LET YOU KNOW when it should not be consumed.

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home