The Hellhole

Friday, January 19, 2007

Do you have an iPod? I don't, but back before Christmas I was looking at them at Best Buy and decided that I want the hot pink Nano which will match my hot pink RazR phone. I have absolutely no need for an iPod but it is an electronic gadget! and small! and cute! so obviously I must have one. Those advertising and marketing bastards have nailed me again.

I was looking at iPods at Best Buy because The Boss's #2 daughter wanted an iPod Shuffle for Christmas. The Boss went to Toys R Us and was displeased that they didn't carry iPods, so since I drive by my local Best Buy at least twice a day, every day (it's between my house and the highway), I said I'd pick it up for him.

Yesterday he brought it in and said it was defective, that they'd never been able to get it to work since Christmas and that he'd tried to return it but they'd thrown away the receipt. He explains, "I hate to have to ask you to do this, but you're going to have to return it. I took it back to HiFi Buys and they were okay with not having the receipt because they said if you'd used a credit card, they would have a record of it. I gave them your name, Alan's name, your maiden name...they couldn't find anything! You didn't pay cash, did you? You should always use your credit card, for reasons like this and the credit card protection. But anyway, they couldn't find any record of it." I replied, "Maybe that's because I bought it at Best Buy, not HiFi Buys."

I didn't want to try returning the thing without a receipt, because I'm pretty sure I did use cash to pay for it so I asked what the problem was. The problem, according to The Boss, is that they can't get music from iTunes onto the iPod - iTunes says it's done and updated but then there's no music to listen to on the little device. I plugged the Shuffle into my computer, and BAM!

It works fine - better than fine, in fact, because since iTunes dumped all the music that was on my computer into the Shuffle, his 6-year-old daughter's iPod is now filled with Rob Zombie, Rammstein, Buckcherry (sample lyric: "Hey, you're a crazy bitch, but you fuck so good I'm on top of it"), Eminem, assorted Swedish death metal - in fact, if there was a single song on the little sweetheart's iPod that didn't have an Explicit Lyrics Warning, I'd be shocked. Whoops! I got to spend the rest of the afternoon figuring out how to put only newly purchased Hannah Montana tunes onto her iPod - and getting paid for it.

5 Comments:

  • Good luck with that! Steve Jobs is the devil. Hope you bought the boss the replacement plan because that shuffle should completely break down in about 10 months! Trust me I do this everyday!
    Tell my brother hello and that he could call sometime!
    keely

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:49 AM  

  • I will probably jinx it now that I am writing this - but my shuffle has been just fine - works great for running/going to the gym. It has been in the cold, the heat, the wind and rain and so far..so good! I have the model that looks like a pack of gum - the newer ones that are like a large clip look pretty cool to me.

    Lisa :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:09 AM  

  • Ooops, no, I didn't buy a replacement plan. Hers is the tiny one like a large clip, about an inch and a half long. The Boss called on Saturday for more troubleshooting - I hope it lasts more than a week! :-)

    By Blogger Helly, at 8:38 AM  

  • Wait! You mean MY daughter has 'music' with the lyrics you describe? My babygirl? OMG!

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 AM  

  • Mark has a regular iPod - it's worked fine, but I wouldn't really know because he won't let me download hundreds of NPR podcasts onto it, and apparently I've recently grown too old to listen to music. Oh, if only Lawrence Welk were still around.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home