The Hellhole

Sunday, October 07, 2012

The Pretzel Phenomenon

Last week at BJ's Wholesale Club, Alan bought a huge tub of pretzels.  Pretzels are a good snack: no fat, no cholesterol and relatively low calorie.  Sometime earlier this week, he noticed something odd and without telling me what he thought was going on, tested me with the pretzels.

I noticed the same thing he did:  when you reach into the pretzel tub, it is WAY colder than room temperature.  I am not good at estimating this sort of thing so I can't say it's 'X' degrees of difference, but inside the pretzel container is discernibly, tangibly cooler than the surrounding kitchen air.  Why should this be?  Are pretzels the comestible antithesis of geothermal?  [And will you admire my use of both 'comestible' and 'antithesis' in the same sentence???]

But seriously - why are our pretzels cold?  Is it the salt?  The niacin?  What's going on here?  Are our pretzels haunted - like the ghostly cold spot thing?  Can someone with a scientific bent explain this pretzel coldness?  It's not like I'm going to lie awake worrying about this, but still, I'd like to know why!


1 Comments:

  • I just noticed this same thing and told my fiancĂ© about it. Did you ever find an answer?

    By Blogger J Lucke, at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home