The Hellhole

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ugh...I stayed in bed until 5:35PM today - and not in a good way. When we got up around 9AM, the right side of my nose and sinuses were stuffed up and I had a little bit of a headache above my right eye, which I thought was probably sinus-related and no big deal. I wasn't even up for an hour before my head was throbbing; this was the worst non-migraine headache I have ever had.

I went back to lie down and for a while there I thought I'd throw up, not because I was nauseous but because the pain was just that bad. I have no idea what brought this on; I did have some wine last night but I had about 4 glasses over a 7 1/2 hour period, so not enough to make me ill. Anyway, I've had "too much wine" headaches before, and this wasn't one of them - this was about 10,000 times worse. After taking a pain pill, I slept fitfully most of the day. Each time I woke up, I was still hurting, though finally it began to subside.

I feel cheated. I think if you're sick on a valuable Saturday, you should get a free weekday back in recompense. There were things, both chores and fun, that I wanted to do today and instead I did nothing but suffer. Grrr.

Finally, a bit after half past five, I got up and had a Diet Coke and some crackers. I cautiously started brushing my teeth and getting dressed, wary of a relapse. We went out to dinner and made our weekly grocery run and now I'm on the couch with a puppy, feeling much recovered.

When we got home, I distributed wet food as a treat to the pets. Finnovar got a Sheba ocean seafood cocktail in sauce - I like those because you can actually see tiny little mussels in there. He likes them too, because there is lots of sauce. He is a gravy pig. For the dogs, I opened two small containers of Cesar, one beef tenderloin and one turkey, and distributed 1/3 of each flavor onto plates. They started wolfing that stuff down like I hadn't bothered to feed them in weeks. Esme grabbed a chunk of meat off her plate and set it down onto the floor beside her as she devoured the rest, then grabbed the chunk of meat whole and raced away toward the back of the house with it. Maybe only funny if you had the visual, but it cracked us both up, that tiny little dog heading for the hills with a huge chunk of canned food in her mouth.

I said, "I can think of a lot of places where I don't want to run across that nom," referring to their habit of taking more treats than they want to eat, and hiding them in various places for later.

"Well, I think you're going to find it on a sofa cushion," answered Alan, "Unless she changes her mind."

Esme did change her mind, after returning to the kitchen to find that her brothers had eaten their shares, and there was little chance of stealing other puppies' noms. She raced back to the sofa cushion to protect her prize and decided to go ahead and finish it off.

6 Comments:

  • I'm sorry you lost a Saturday to that monstrous headache. I know what you mean about losing precious weekend time. You said it was a non-migraine headache - how is a migraine different?

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 8:14 AM  

  • I am so sorry about your monster headache! Glad you got better.

    The part about the pets' dinners was funny! I can just see Esme! As you know, both my 'boys' take a mouthful of 'crunches (dry food)' and go elsewhere. Then, they put it down and nibble from the porch floor, kitchen, or wherever..wonder why they do that?!

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 PM  

  • Thanks for the sympathy, y'all.

    Nancy, a migraine's just WORSE. Far worse than you can imagine. Imagine the worst headache you've ever had, multiplied exponentially, and then even though you think it couldn't get worse, it intensifies exponentially with any motion (like turning your head on the pillow to take a pill sort of motion, or blinking your eyes or breathing), any tiny sliver of light makes it even worse and the pain is so bad you're nauseous, which if you give in to the nausea, see "motion", above. Also - this may not be true for everyone - they blur my vision and any attempt to focus, say on a tiny pain pill that might alleviate the suffering, results in a painful retribution so awful I don't have words. It's HORRIBLE.

    Having written all that, I haven't had a migraine in many years. I went through a period where I had 3 - 4 a year but I quit a horrid, stress-producing job (stress being a migraine trigger for me), did a series of a drug designed for people with sinus problems so awful they could trigger migraines, and learned to recognize some of my warning signs so I could often head one off before it started.

    The last one I had, I took a Demerol and passed out. When I woke up, Finnovar was curled around my head with a paw caressing my cheek. See, cats always know exactly how you feel. They don't care, but they know.

    By Blogger Helly, at 1:46 PM  

  • Helly,
    I don't get migraines, but your description of them sound like my sinus headaches. If you get or feel another sinus headache coming, the only thing that have ever worked of mine is AlkaSeltzer Cold medicine (the original). Keeps me from getting them if I've precoursors, or knocks 'em out in half an hour..
    glenn Kelly

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:14 PM  

  • Headaches are the worst. Glad you are feeling better! I had really bad headaches in college. My English professor had some theory that extreme cold caused headaches (no, not just the ice cream headache). There was a lot of extreme cold in Minnesota...Of course the same English professor told his kids that he prisoners only got bread and water to eat and drink and that they were originally monkeys when they were born.

    By Blogger basil, at 1:55 PM  

  • Thanks for the tip, Glenn! Basil, I am torn between appalled and highly amused by your English professor's statements to his kids. :-)

    By Blogger Helly, at 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home