The Hellhole

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Last Friday (and the Friday before that, too) we went to see Monsters vs Aliens. It's a cute little movie with some funny moments. Kiefer Sutherland is particularly good as General Monger. There are a few little jokes that the kids probably don't get, but I liked. For example, these two guys in a monitoring outpost see a UFO, and when one calls it in to HQ, he says, "We have a Code Nimoy! I repeat, CODE NIMOY!"

I'm quite enthralled with the new 3-D technology. After seeing this and Coraline in 3-D, I'm looking forward to Up which is coming in late May, and - speaking of Mr. Nimoy - the new Star Trek movie. I don't think that one's in 3-D, though.

Alan and I were talking - we've gone to the cinema more in the last two months than we have in the last five years. I think for me, this is because the more I go, the more I hear about other movies I want to see, and the more I appreciate the "big screen" experience. Another big factor has been, whether we've been remarkably lucky or people in our town are extremely polite or something, none of our recent visits to the cinema have been anywhere near as awful as I tend to think of "going to the movies" as being. Nobody talked over the movie, rattled candy wrappers through the whole thing, no kids romped up and down the aisles, no infants screamed through the entire presentation...which is generally how I imagine the theatre when I think, "Nah, I'll just wait and get the DVD when it comes out."

It's been pretty fun - and Date Night with the husband is never a bad thing.

6 Comments:

  • I too think of going to the movies as an expensive, uncomfortable trek..what with the distractions you list and usually being too cold! BUT! Getting to see 'Coraline' and in the new 3-D, plus being with you and Alan, comes awfully close to changing my mind. I do realize that most of the movies I want to see are animated (kiddie?) movies...

    sigh

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

  • One of the reasons I love Alamo Drafthouse so much (besides the fact that you can have a cheeseburger and fries while watching your movie) is that they aggressively police their theaters for loudmouths, crying babies, cell phone talkers, yammerers, and the other shit that makes modern moviegoing no fun. It's hard for me to be convinced to see movies anywhere else in Austin.

    Plus they have all kinds of cool events (last night, for example, they had a showing of "The Last Unicorn" where Peter S. Beagle was in attendance; a few days before that, they had a showing of "Wrath of Khan" during which they were going to preview the first 10 minutes of the new Trek movie....but surprise! they went ahead and world premiered the entire thing. And Leonard Nimoy appeared out of nowhere, too.

    I love the Drafthouse.

    cheers,
    Phil

    By Blogger Phil C., at 7:46 AM  

  • Alamo Drafthouse sounds wonderful! I wish we had something like that. There used to be the North Druid Cinema & Drafthouse but that's been closed for ages.

    I am jealous that you've already seen the new Star Trek. Will you be posting a review? Hope so.

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:28 AM  

  • Aww, yay for Date Night!

    I saw My Bloody Valentine in 3D (not my choice), but it was actually a deeper movie than I would have expected. And scarier, with the weapons seeming to fly out at you in the audience.

    By Blogger A Margarita, at 10:20 AM  

  • Oh, I didn't say *I* was at the Star Trek viewing. I just heard about it afterwards. :)

    cheers,
    Phil

    By Blogger Phil C., at 11:23 AM  

  • Oh, I see! Hmm, I took it for granted that if something that cool happened, you'd be in attendance!

    By Blogger Helly, at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home