The Hellhole

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Blah, too many days between posts. Again.

Sunday we went to lunch with our good friend Phil who is *sniff* leaving Atlanta for Austin, Texas. I'm sorry to see him go but I'm happy that he's moving, if that makes sense. He's moving for the best of reasons, to make his long-distance relationship with his lovely girlfriend non-long-distance, and taking the next steps on that front. I'm really happy for him and wishing him nothing but good things and happiness, but I'm gonna miss him. Well, really "we" on all that because I know him through my brother, they were friends first, and then Alan told him about a job opening at his then-employer, so Phil and Alan worked together for over a year, so - we're all gonna miss him but applaud his decision and hope for all the finest things for him & Leslie. Bon voyage, Phil - he leaves tomorrow.

On Monday night, something wonderful happened! Real-life friends and long-term readers will know of my adoration for The Sainted Miss Betty, my housekeeper for 7 or 8 years, and my utter devastation when she decided to retire at the end of 2007. I've kept things going, with lots and LOTS of help from Alan, without outside help but I can't say it's been easy. I don't mean to sound whiny because I know many, many people manage to work, commute, cook meals and keep house without help but damn! I missed Miss Betty. It was so much easier to keep things to a certain standard when I knew she'd be here every fortnight for a major cleaning. Without her, it's too easy to have a couple of bad allergy days in a row and the dust is out of control, or a day when I'm just too exhausted to deal with it and you can't see the pattern on the living-room rug for the cat hair. Well, so anyway, Monday night Miss Betty called! She got bored with total retirement and her other planned venture (sitting with the elderly) wasn't going too well - the elderly were fine but apparently some of their relatives were nasty, snotty and condescending to her, so she's decided to add one or two houses back into her routine! Luckily, I am close to her goddaughter's house (who she's still cleaning for) so - MISS BETTY CAME TUESDAY! I was beyond thrilled and happy. My house smells of Clorox and that combo of products which together produce that everything-is-spanking-clean smell. She hasn't completely decided about un-retirement, or even semi-un-retirement, but no matter what for the long-term, she will be back Tuesday after next so I am one happy (albeit lazy) girl. SQUEEEE!

Then today, something else wonderful. Through business and proximity, I have become friends with Theresa, the FedEx manager whose office is across the hall from mine. We chat, share interests in books, wine, recipes, events around the office complex. All last week Theresa was in Ocho Rios where she'd planned a special trip for her husband's birthday. We talked a lot about the trip, potential destinations, options and stuff. I knew they'd have a wonderful time, which they TOTALLY did, but I never expected that she'd bring me a souvenir! Theresa brought me back a gorgeous necklace from Jamaica, which is beautiful but even if I didn't like it (and I LOVE it) how delightfully unexpected! It never even occurred to me that she'd bring me back a pressie! I think that unexpected gifts are even more wonderful!

3 Comments:

  • Hallelujah! Welcome back, Miss Betty!

    love,
    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 AM  

  • Great news about Miss Betty!! I can only imagine the difference a Miss Betty would make in my life.

    How nice to get a surprise present, too! Are you going to post a picture?

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 9:14 PM  

  • Nancy, the major benefit (aside from the obvious) is that having her forces me to be more diligent about keeping things clean and tidy in between her visits. I am more disciplined about keeping things picked up and straightened up because, for example, I don't want it to take her 3 hours to dust because there are books and magazines stacked on every available surface - which, believe it or not, tends to happen a lot at our house, LOL.

    By Blogger Helly, at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home