The Hellhole

Monday, February 20, 2006

Y-a-w-n! What a weekend. I’m exhausted.

On Saturday Alan’s parents and brother drove up from Augusta and we all went to the new Georgia Aquarium, which is the world’s largest. I took pictures which Alan uploaded to the Mac; eventually I’ll get round to posting them on Flickr. Alan’s dad has his pictures up already - here. It was fun and interesting, but very crowded. I didn't get to look as long as I wanted at some things because I was very conscious of people pressing on all sides, hustling me along.

I want a little wee seahorse like this. Alan didn’t buy me a seahorse but he bought me a plushy. I’m not entirely sure if he’s a shark or a dolphin but he’s very cute. I brought him to work with me today but I probably won’t leave him. He’d get scared in my empty office after dark.

After the aquarium, we had dinner at Bugaboo Creek. The waiter remembered Alan and me from previous visits so he brought a complimentary dessert for us all to share. Yum, cheesecake!

On Sunday, Mark came to town to be measured for his tuxedo. Nancy and Anthony came, too and we met them at Whistle Post for a late lunch. Anthony sacked out for a nap and missed the fun. It was great to see them. Nancy and I had a discussion about Anthony (well, kids in general), how we’d love to know what goes on in their heads. For instance, Nancy told him they were coming to see Helly and Alan, and he was very enthusiastic. I want to know if he’s enthusiastic merely because that’s Anthony’s usual reaction to things Nancy proposes, or if he really has a concept of “Helly” and “Alan”. I’m sure he remembers us when he sees us, at least in a general “oh, that girl/yeah, that guy” way but I wonder what sort of concept he has in mind when she says those names, or if it’s just enthusiasm for the idea of going someplace different/doing something out of the ordinary.

That evening, my brother needed to borrow some of my equipment to work on his wife’s car, so we loaded it up and went to Athens. They treated us to dinner at a cool Mexican place, Aqua Linda. It was kinda late by the time we got home from that errand so I took a quick bath and went to bed. None of this flurry of activity and adventure kept me from waking up at 4:15 AM, unable to get back to sleep, however. I thought I’d sleep really well because I’d been drinking (martinis at Whistle Post and margaritas at the Mexican restaurant) but it was not to be. Reading that last bit sounds like I got "tore up from the floor up" as my friend Bevy would say, but several hours elapsed between the two sets of drinks. I assure you that no clothing was publicly removed and no karaoke was performed.

1 Comments:

  • Helly I would like to see you get "tore up from the floor up" I could never get pass the second round of drinks with you. LOL However, I've been practicing.....so look out at the wedding.

    Ms. Bevy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home