The Hellhole

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A few days ago I made this delicious yummy salad.  It is heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, finely diced red onion, chiffonade of basil, Danish blue cheese, and dressed with extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper.  Alan was a big fan - he said it "tastes like summer".

Tonight I made a variation - same basic ingredients but with chopped cilantro and this time I used both blue and feta cheese.  Alan reports that it is delicious, that he prefers the use of both cheeses, but that the basil version is better than the cilantro.  So next time I'll do the first version but add feta.

It wasn't so much that I wanted to try it with cilantro but that I didn't have any fresh basil.  The basil I'd purchased originally was on the edge, though I bought the best-looking packet of the three my grocery store had in stock.  The cilantro was still bright and perky, so I figured I'd try it and see.  It's much better with heirloom tomatoes than regular ones, although what we can get now are so much tastier than the hot-house tomatoes my mom could buy off-season when I was a kid.  We are Googling around the web right now to see if there will be any local farmers' markets nearby this summer, so we can get a steady supply; I took time out to write this post.  Now Alan's gone to the fridge for more salad...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home