The Hellhole

Saturday, January 16, 2010

"The Sebring does seem to be totally cursed, in my view," writes my brother in the comments on my last post. "You think that now, but wait there's more," I reply.

My Sebring has been at the dealership for THREE WHOLE DAYS and Service Guy Barry swears they've examined it "up one end and down the other" and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's fine, I should maybe switch cars with Alan for a few days (which I can't, but Barry doesn't know that) but still, it should be good for another 100,000 miles. Yeah. That Sebring with nothing wrong with it broke down on the way home from the dealership, a trip of a whopping 14.5 miles, leaving me stranded on the side of I-20.

In the rain.

Alan rescued me.

But the Helly Cherry On Top is this: before we went to pick up the Sebring I'd been looking over all available automobiles and choices, trying to decide what I'd do if I had to get a new car. I'd become semi-intrigued with the Volvo C70 - not ideal, not a tiny 2-seater roadster but about the same size and shape as the Sebring, a convertible, available in a manual transmission, supposedly Volvos are absolute tanks so okay, maybe. A contender, anyway. I called Dyer&Dyer (local dealer) this morning to ask about the transmission because their website doesn't specify it on the specs of the convertibles in stock. Everything on the lot was an automatic but the guy told me they could do a dealer-wide search or easily order me one, no problem. So, a possibility and I had information, at least.

Then my Sebring that has nothing wrong with it died and stranded me, so after we finally got home from that adventure, I called Dyer&Dyer dude back. Because the situation seems more dire than I'd hoped, I might be buying sooner than later and I wanted to know how soon I could get it if I ordered one, if a black-on-black manual was available at another dealer in the vicinity, that sort of thing.

Can you see where this is going?

The 2010 C70 was available in a manual but the new model year is upon them. The 2011s will be out in March and the 2011s are not available with a manual transmission. Of course they aren't. He can't order me one even if I could write him a check today. Also, even though I told him this morning I wasn't anywhere near making a decision, he'd gone ahead and checked around, and he can't find me a manual anywhere in the southeast. Of course he can't.

1 Comments:

  • I'm SO sorry about your car problems and unhelpful mechanic. I realize I'm very grateful that I don't have to take an interstate on a daily basis, and that when my car won't start at least it's already parked somewhere.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home