The Hellhole

Thursday, January 07, 2010

I lack the energy to look back on an entire decade; the highlight was meeting and marrying Alan, the lowlight was my father's death. Plenty of other things happened including other deaths, other births, things good, bad and mediocre - good days and bad days and going half-mad days, as Mr. Buffett says - but those two events are either end of my decade's spectrum. However, I feel I might be capable of a yearly summary and so I'm stealing Sandy's idea and doing a recap of 2009:

January: we bought a big new flat-screen television that came with a free Blu-Ray player (fun). I had surgery on my Lady Parts (not so fun).

February: won over $1,200 in scratch-off lottery tickets from an inital stake of $110.

March: went on a peaceful, relaxing vacation in the North Georgia mountains using my ill-gotten gambling gains from February (verra nice). Marty Brodeur broke Patrick Waaaaah's goalie record (even better).

April: apparently absolutely nothing of consequence occurred. We went to the cinema. I need more April 2009s.

May: Blind Willie McTell Blues Festival. I discover that I own 68 pairs of shoes. My mother highjacks a Sunbeam bread truck.

June: Took Alan to Bone's steakhouse (fabulous). Got Baby Esme (even more fabulous).

July: Gave away many copies of Top Gear: Season 10. Went to Augusta (g00d), my car was burglarized (bad).

August: Played lots of video games (good), had a spa day (lovely), Uncle Payton died (sad and bad).

September: Went on vacation to Clarks Hill Lake, read lots of books, swam, had a cook-out with family and friends. Bitchin' month.

October: Some nice but familiar treats: bookstores, restaurants, a visit to Augusta. Puppy class. Supacute pets in Hallowe'en costumes.

November: Nothing memorable except THE BLACK HORROR.

December: oh, man, December (at least the second half) is a series of horrors I can't bear to revisit yet, including surgery, car wrecks (plural), trips to the ER (plural), but also, thankfully, the discovery of a hoopty wine store with whose help I might be able to cope with all the rest.

January brings a new month, a new start and I hope I got all my bad karma over during the last fortnight or so. I is tired - not sleepy, soul-tired.

4 Comments:

  • Great idea, going to steal it. Love the term 'hoopty wine store' and will probably steal that also. Must find the post about the Sunbeam truck and your Mom. Love your blog.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:40 PM  

  • You can steal this one too, if you like: when my friend Anne likes some term I use, she says, "I am SO klepping that word!"

    Thanks for the compliment. Say, is your blog private? If not, would love to read yours if you'll share your URL.

    By Blogger Helly, at 7:01 PM  

  • I thought I'd put you on my list but I will try and fix it so you can read it.

    P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVbizM8tRR4

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:01 AM  

  • Hahaha, Summer, I LOVED that video!

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home