The Hellhole

Monday, April 17, 2006

I have a few friends who blog but for various reasons don't want their blogs made public or linked via public pages. I understand and respect their decisions, but sometimes it's so difficult, because an entry will make me laugh so hard that I want to share it with everyone - case in point, this one entry from a pal that I read, then went back and re-read four or five times at least, because the visual is JUST. THAT. FUNNY, and also because it sounds like something that would happen to me. So here it is, not nearly as funny as it was in his own words: there my friend was, minding his own business, innocently sauntering down the street (because, despite any protestations he might wish to make, I am convinced that he's the sort of person who'd saunter, given half the chance) when suddenly a car pulled alongside, the occupants shouted some abuse and hurled at him...

At this juncture you might be worried, thinking someone threw a rock or a beer bottle at my friend, but you'd be wrong.

He was assaulted by an individual serving catsup packet.

Of course, he didn't know it was going to be a catsup pack, so he ducked away and threw up his arms to protect himself, cringing away - from catsup. Er, but I'm sure he did so in a very dignified and manly manner.

Assault with a deadly weapon = not funny
Assault with a condiment packet = funny

I, on the other hand, have not been the victim of an assault by catsup (or any other food item, actually). I spent Sunday reading after spending all day Saturday running errands. I purchased: lotion and bubbles from Bath & Body Works, candles and wax tarts from Yankee Candle, silk ivy from which to fashion some centerpieces for my wedding, silk rose petals in the proper colour for my wedding, jewelry for my bridesmaids, gifts for my bridesmaids, thank-you notes in anticipation of anyone sending some wedding swag my way, gold sealing wax and a new wax seal with the initial of my soon-to-be surname, "B", to go with the thank-you notes - although actually my initials won't change, which is a good thing as I won't have to change the monogram on my towels or luggage, but although I had an "H" seal already, I was B-less.

I bought the silk ivy because several people have been trying to talk me out of fresh flowers at the wedding, because my allergies are so bad. It is generally believed that if I'm surrounded by fresh flowers, I'll have to be so doped up on meds that I won't remember anything about the wedding - which for whatever reason, they seem to think is a bad thing. I wanted fresh flowers, though, so I was reluctant; then I went to Matt's wedding, which was full of fresh flowers and I realized Cheryl, Alan, et al might have a point. So what I'm thinking we'll do at this point is have fresh flowers for bouquets and boutonnieres, and fresh flowers as centerpieces on about half of the tables. For the other half, the centerpiece will be a pillar candle surrounded by ivy (Cheryl's idea). That way, I'll get to have fresh flowers but hopefully not so many that I can't cope. I think the candles and ivy will be pretty, too. And maybe after the wedding festivities are over, we can drive around and throw silk ivy at random pedestrians, just to give them something fun to blog about.

3 Comments:

  • Kids these days and their condiments! That was a great story.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 6:20 PM  

  • saunter????
    I'd be offended if I had time!

    cringing!!!!!!!
    I'll have you know that repeated viewings of "The Karate Kid" meant that where you see cringing I see "The Praying Mantis"

    And, in my defence, it wasn't any old generic serving of catsup, it was an individual serving of Heinz Tomato Ketchup - there is a chance it could attack in 57 varieties donchu'no.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 PM  

  • See above? Told you guys it was funnier when he told it!

    By Blogger Helly, at 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home