The Hellhole

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I'm having SUCH a good time with a spam today! It begins "Dear South Trust bank customer, Technical services of the South Trust bank are carrying out a planned software upgrade. We earnestly ask you to visit following link to start the procedure of confirmation of customers' data", gives a phony link asking for your name, ATM card number and PIN (among other things) and concludes "We present our apologies and thank you for co-operating". I knew right away it was a scam because I'm not a SouthTrust Bank customer, but I used to be about 8 years ago; I happen to know that they spell their name "SouthTrust Bank", not "the South Trust bank".

Well, like I said I'm not a customer. But I'm all about helping out whenever I can, so I followed the link and input all the confidential customer data they needed to rip me off. Er, that is, not "me" personally - so far Cthulu Crosby, Lulu Cthulu (that'd be The Wife) and Valencia Bukakke have fallen victim to this heinous scheme. Cthulu's ATM card number and PIN were all sixes; Lulu and Valencia had correctly patterned, but phony, numbers.

I hope the Engrish with which the solicitation was worded means that they won't realize I'm as big a liar as they are, and some doofus will actually be out there somewhere trying to withdraw money via an ATM card bearing the name of an Elder God. If I read about lightning striking some idiot with lots of warrants, obliterating an ATM and leaving a gaping, smoking hole in the earth, I'll know it worked. Then I'll smile, with the smug satisfaction of a job well done. You know that Beatles' song, about how "instant karma's gonna get you"? I'm just an innocent country lass trying to do my part.

2 Comments:

  • I think you're thinking of a DIFFERENT kind of stage show...

    By Blogger Helly, at 6:45 AM  

  • I love it when an 'innocent country lass' does her part.

    heh heh

    I'm waiting for word of the ATM explosion...

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home