The Hellhole

Saturday, July 09, 2005

You guys are not going to BELIEVE what happened yesterday! Heck, I don't quite believe it myself. That is, I know what I saw, but the odds of such a coincidence are so astronomical that my logic circuits are trying to talk my eyes out of it.

I'm driving home and it's rush hour (what a misnomer!) so traffic is moving kinda slow, 45 or so. A cop car merges maybe 3 vehicles in front of me at an an on-ramp, drives along a bit and then hits his blue lights and starts moving over into the breakdown lane. Traffic has slowed a bit more as we are gradually approaching the next exit so I get a good look - a VERY good look - at what the cop is investigating.

A wreck sits off to the side. In front is a large forest-green sedan, perhaps a Chevy Caprice (I'm not sure; I'm not good at ginormous sedans, maybe a Crown Vic or something) and behind it is the red GMC pickup truck that has bashed into it. I also got a good look at the two people standing at their cars, viewing the carnage in disgust.

Remember when a dude in a RED GMC PICKUP bashed my beautiful Sebring all to be-damned? Remember?!? Well, I am almost positive that it was the same dude in the same pickup truck, at the same time of day in almost the same damn spot! If you're familiar with metro Atlanta, this was on I-20 eastbound between Wesley Chapel and Panola Road, much closer to Panola Road. Red Truck hit the green sedan just before the Snapfinger Creek bridge; he hit me a little past the bridge, as the road curves before the exit ramp. What are the odds?

I still have all my paperwork from my bashing. I also have Connections, some more respectable than others. I'm going to call around Monday and see, if I read the tag number of the truck involved in my incident, someone will confirm that it's the same tag number of yesterday's incident. I realize, of course, that there is hardly a shortage of red pickup trucks in the metro area, nor are fiftyish redneck guys in short supply. But I got a decent glimpse of this guy, too, and he looked exactly the same as my perp. I know from my wreck that the cars and insurance are all in his wife's name - I bet he's gonna be in TRUUU-BULL!

I wonder if he has a favorite watering hole close by, sneaks out of work early, pounds a few and tries to head home at the appropriate time so his wife won't know, which is why he hits people at about the same time and place. Hmmmm...I'm going to have to find a circuitous route home, so I can get off the highway in Decatur, meander eastward and pick up I-20 further down. I'm scared of Red Pickup Truck Guy. You'd think HE would be the one to find another way home - this one just isn't working out for him.

6 Comments:

  • DENNY'S! He's hanging out at the Denny's on Panola and dranking till time to go home.

    (mom)

    Happy (dating) Anniversary to you and Alan last week, and Happy (wedding) Anniversary to Bo & Sarah July 9.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • That is a bizarre coincidence! I can't wait to hear what you turn up on that plate. And I support your plan to find another way home.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 12:07 PM  

  • Obviously, it's been a LONG time since I had to go fetch a redneck from the Dy's - it's on Wesley Chapel....

    The old 'remembry' ain't what it used to be.

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:58 PM  

  • Um...Mom...I think you may be in more trouble than you realize. "Denny's" is a 24-hour breakfast joint that WISHES it were as fabulous as Waffle House. "Dudley's" is the skank bar on Wesley Chapel Road. I'm just sayin'.

    By Blogger Helly, at 1:01 PM  

  • You know, I was so busy being awed at your memory and accuracy, I ALMOST forgot to wonder WHY you knew about Dudley's. And it can't be because you drive past it; just driving past doesn't clue one in to the fact that it's a skanky redneck joint.

    Worried Mom
    (heh heh)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 AM  

  • Word gets around. People hear things.

    By Blogger Helly, at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home