The Hellhole

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

One of the people with whom I work has a habit that drives me utterly insane. I like the person very much, but this one habit is maddening. Whenever they need something [and I know the usage of “they” as a pronoun here is incorrect, but I want to depict this person as anonymously as possible (no gender clues) and I abhor writing horrendously clumsy sentences with dozens of he/she him/her his/hers constructs, so “they”] – whenever they need something from me, they don’t think it over or make a list of all the things they need to ask, then call me and ask all their questions at once. They call dozens of times in rapid succession, with one question per call. Example:

Phonin’Maniac: Hey, you just moved, right? Can I get your new address?
Me: Sure, it’s [address].
Phonin’Maniac: Thanks a bunch! Bye!
– two minute interval–
Phonin’Maniac: Hey, what’s your new fax number?
Me: Oh, it's the same one; it didn’t change. [Neither did the phone number, notice how you called me on it?] Do you need it again?
Phonin’Maniac: Nope, got it right here! Cool! Thanks! Bye!
– three minute interval–
Phonin’Maniac: Hey, it’s me! Did you get my fax?
Me: No, I haven’t gotten any faxes. When did you send it?
Phonin’Maniac: Oh, damn, it’s probably my stupid fax acting up again. I’ll just e-mail it.
Me: Okay, sounds good.
– twenty minute interval –
Phonin’Maniac: Hi, guess what? My address book is totally blank from when my computer crashed last week so I need your e-mail address.
Me: It’s [e-mail address].
Phonin’Maniac: Thanks, you’re back in my Contacts now.
Me: Oh, joyous day.
Phonin’Maniac: Hee hee, you’re so funny! See ya soon!
– two hour interval –
Phonin’Maniac: Hey, me again. Is [The Boss’s company] incorporated or a partnership or what?
Me: It’s a corporation.
Phonin’Maniac: Okay, got it!
Me: Anything else?
Phonin’Maniac: No, that’s all I needed! Thanks doll!
– two minute interval –
Phonin’Maniac: Hey, can I get your Federal I.D. number?
Me: Sure, it’s [number].
Phonin’Maniac: You’re the best! Bye!
– three minute interval –
Phonin’Maniac: Hi, it’s me. Remember that project for [another company]?
Me: Yeah, what about it?
Phonin’Maniac: Did you bill them?
Me: Yeah, a couple of weeks ago...hang on and I’ll tell you the exact date. Okay, I sent it on June 22. Do you need a copy of it?
Phonin’Maniac: No, I just wanted to follow up and make sure you knew it was okay to invoice them. I should have known you’d be on it!
Me: Yep - I’m the Billing Queen. Thanks for checking.
Phonin’Maniac: Mmmkay, bye!
– two minute interval –
Phonin’Maniac: Hey, [another company]? Have they paid that invoice yet?
Me: The one from June 22? No, not yet.
Phonin’Maniac: Oh. Okay. I just wondered. See ya!
– three minute interval which gives me just enough time to refile the invoice and sit back down –
Phonin’Maniac: Hey, that invoice for [another company] that I called you about?
Me: Yeah?
Phonin’Maniac: They can't find it. They didn't know what I was talking about. We need to fax it.
Me: [suppress sigh] Okay, where and to whose attention?
Phonin’Maniac: Ummm...don’t you have [another company]’s fax number?
Me: No, you only gave me their address.
Phonin’Maniac: Oh. I’ll call you back!

Sigh. I’m sure you will. Several thousand times. And when The Boss surveys the day's accomplishments in disgust, and wants to know what I did all frickin' day long, the only thing I'll have to report is, "Talked to Phonin'Maniac."

4 Comments:

  • I love Phonin'Maniac. That was hilarious! Can Phonin'Maniac become a recurring character in your blog? And could we bring back Derek the Dumbass, please?

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 4:02 PM  

  • Phonin'Maniac will recur, probably at around 9:20 tomorrow. I actually like P.M. very much, extremely nice and interesting person other than this one habit. I think Derek might have got hisself fired, though.

    By Blogger Helly, at 5:41 PM  

  • Oh, TOO bad! About Derek. Seriously. I was thinking of ordering myself some flowers, just so I could have the pleasure of his conversation.

    By Blogger Anonymous Me, at 12:35 PM  

  • You'd never have managed it. The fact that there are TWO DIFFERENT N's in your first name would have been more than his fragile intellect could grasp.

    By Blogger Helly, at 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home