The Hellhole

Friday, April 16, 2004

Well, as of last night my beloved Blues are out of the playoffs, the first team to make an ignominious exit. I KNEW they shouldn’t have fired Coach Q, I KNEW it! And being eliminated by the San Jose Sharks makes it even worse. For the remainder of the playoffs, therefore, I will be switching my allegiance to my brother’s favorite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs. It irritates me every time I write that because the grammarian in me insists that it ought to be “Toronto Maple Leaves” but I must be consistent with the official party line, I suppose, so “Leafs” it is.

During playoff season a couple of years ago, I went as far as painting “Go Leafs Go” in huge, Toronto-blue letters on the back window of the ‘Vette. En route to work one morning, I was driving down Decatur Street. They had the lane beside me closed for utility work and when the light at Piedmont turned red, I wound up stopped beside one of the guys working - well, hanging around the work spot leaning on an implement of some sort. He read the back window and asked me, puzzled, “What does that mean?” I answered, “It means I want them to win!” but I’m not sure he really understood. I haven’t decided whether to paint my vehicles this year, however. When I did it before, the Leafs didn’t reward my sacrifice by winning the cup so I’m not sure they really appreciated the gesture.

My brother looks very much like Toronto Maple Leaf Darcy Tucker. In that link he doesn't look nearly as much like Bo as this one picture I have on my computer, in which the resemblance is downright eerie, but I don't think I can post pictures from my hard drive on here. Anyhow, one of these days, we plan to attend a game with him holding up a sign - he wants something along the lines of “President of the Darcy Tucker Lookalike Club” but I prefer “Darcy Tucker’s Evil Twin”. I don’t look like any of the Maple Leafs, myself. I suppose that’s a good thing.

I'm worried about tonight's game because even though they'll be back home at the Air Canada Centre, Mats Sundin (my favorite Leaf) and Joe Nieuwendyk are hurt, possibly questionable. [I get extra points for spelling "Nieuwendyk" correctly.] One more thing: GO LEAFS GO!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home